Photo

Los Amigos

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: How to you rate this restaurant? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this restaurant?

1. Excellent (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Good (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Average (1 votes [20.00%])

4. Poor (1 votes [20.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

Mexican Cantina and Cocktail Bar
11 Central Hill
Crystal Palace
London SE19 1BG

Open 7 days a week, noon until late.
Tel - 020 7998 5944

#2 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:24 AM

Myself and Mrs SLR took the plunge on Friday. Expecting an empty Rose Villa type situation we were pleasantly surprised to see it almost full. Brilliant atmosphere and fantastic service. The food was very good and they bagged up our remains without asking. My starter was mussels in salsa which was divine. Couldnt finish my main as a result. Great place

#3 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

Myself and Mrs SLR took the plunge on Friday. Expecting an empty Rose Villa type situation we were pleasantly surprised to see it almost full. Brilliant atmosphere and fantastic service. The food was very good and they bagged up our remains without asking. My starter was mussels in salsa which was divine. Couldnt finish my main as a result. Great place

Did you notice if it was at all veggie friendly? I have been promised lunch out today and love Mexican food. Chilli induced endorphins and all that.

Edited by RachelF, 26 September 2010 - 09:20 AM.

Rachel
My link

#4 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

Did you notice if it was at all veggie friendly? I have been promised lunch out today and love Mexican food. Chilli induced endorphins and all that.

As a self confessed carnivore, I really couldn't say. Give it a go though, you wont regret it, I'm sure there will be a tree hugger, sorry veggie option.....smiley thing of course

#5 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

Did you get taken there Rachel?

#6 lolliepoppster

lolliepoppster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

We went there last night for my birthday and though it was a bit quiet, they did seem to have a steady stream of people coming in and out. And they do do takeaway too, which is very useful/dangerous!

The tacos were amazing, I only wish they had them as a main course and not just a starter. The main course chimichanga was very good indeed, the fajitas were excellent and only let down by the lack of "proper" salsa (just a few pieces of tomato and onion!) and about 1/2 a teaspoon of cheese for 4 fajitas, which seemed a bit mean compared with the amount of everything else we were given.

Raspberry mojito was just lovely, but the lime daiquiri was not, though that could be because I don't really drink and it wasn't what I was expecting in terms of flavour. All the drinks are made to order though, which is excellent.

Would go again, but at 50 for two people, two courses and two drinks each, it will be special occasions only!

#7 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:02 PM

Is it better than the standard uk high street tex mex joint? I must admit I avoid them as they seem to be stodgy re-hashes of the same ingredients (re-fried beans, grated cheese, guacamole, salsa etc.) in different guises?

#8 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

Is it better than the standard uk high street tex mex joint? I must admit I avoid them as they seem to be stodgy re-hashes of the same ingredients (re-fried beans, grated cheese, guacamole, salsa etc.) in different guises?

I would tend to say that it is, but they dont seem to want to move away from that image. The whole refit was not done to a high standard and seems 'dumbed down'. Laminated menu's etc give a cheap look.

#9 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

Did you get taken there Rachel?

No husband fancied pub food (aka scampi and chips... which he had with a yorkshire pudding and most of the potatoes that came with my nut roast and gravy to boot. He was very hungry!) But hopefully another time.
The nut roast was more 'nut slop', but I am going off topic here.

Edited by RachelF, 28 September 2010 - 10:47 AM.

Rachel
My link

#10 lolliepoppster

lolliepoppster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

It is just the basics, but it's the basics done pretty well. It's no "Wahaca" but the fact it's 5mins walk from my flat does help.

#11 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:04 PM

I plan on visiting on Saturday. :lol:

#12 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

We went there last night for my birthday and though it was a bit quiet, they did seem to have a steady stream of people coming in and out. And they do do takeaway too, which is very useful/dangerous!

The tacos were amazing, I only wish they had them as a main course and not just a starter. The main course chimichanga was very good indeed, the fajitas were excellent and only let down by the lack of "proper" salsa (just a few pieces of tomato and onion!) and about 1/2 a teaspoon of cheese for 4 fajitas, which seemed a bit mean compared with the amount of everything else we were given.

Raspberry mojito was just lovely, but the lime daiquiri was not, though that could be because I don't really drink and it wasn't what I was expecting in terms of flavour. All the drinks are made to order though, which is excellent.

Would go again, but at 50 for two people, two courses and two drinks each, it will be special occasions only!

50? 4 drinks = approx 15 - so 17.50 for starter and main - seems a bit pricey in view of the "changing rooms" standard of the makeover from what I could see through the window - still it adds a bit of life to that corner of the triangle so hopefully they will pitch it rightand get enough custom to keep it going - borderland seemed to do pretty well at weekends tho I remember it being a bit vacuous weekdays

#13 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

The prices kinda seem the same as everywhere else to be honest. Starters between £3 and £5, mains between £7 and £12, cocktails are quite cheap (if they are good and big that is) between £5ish and £8ish.

ChewderOde, if you know a good place where to have 4 decent cocktails for 15 quid, let me know! Outside of happy hour that is of course.... :rolleyes:

Edited by misspoddy, 29 September 2010 - 08:44 AM.

#14 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

@RachelF - yes, there's a few veggie options (chimchangas, enchiladas, burritos, fajitas etc.).

Decent atmosphere, nice background music, accommodating service (they have a kids menu altho they don't have high chairs yet for little 'uns).

It's not a patch on Green & Red in Bethnal Green, but it's about half the price. Food is standard enough that I'm a little suspicious about how much is actually made on the premises vs bought-in.

Menu has misplaced apostrophes ("burrito's"), which is a personal bugbear of mine. If the staff were fresh off the boat from Mexico I'd excuse it, but the two chaps there on the weekend were miscellaneous Europeans.

Not sure I'd go for the food alone, but as a social eating-and-boozing venue it's not without merit. If you want authentic Latin American food though, go round the corner to Cafe Latino!

#15 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

The prices kinda seem the same as everywhere else to be honest. Starters between 3 and 5, mains between 7 and 12, cocktails are quite cheap (if they are good and big that is) between 5ish and 8ish.

ChewderOde, if you know a good place where to have 4 decent cocktails for 15 quid, let me know! Outside of happy hour that is of course.... :rolleyes:

Nope - sorry - I was talking about standard drinks ie botle of beer or glass of wine - mind you a bottle of beer witha slice of lime in the top might qualify for a cocktail!