Photo

Los Amigos

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: How to you rate this restaurant? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this restaurant?

1. Excellent (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Good (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Average (1 votes [20.00%])

4. Poor (1 votes [20.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 clairy

clairy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

My husband and I tried this place today for lunch and were pleasantly surprised. There was only one other table occupied when we arrived, with two adults and two children, although a few others trickled in as we were eating.

We had a warm welcome from the waiter, who got a high chair for our one-year old straight away. We both ordered from the lunch menu (starter & main for 8.95) The food was very nice. We shared our starters of nachos and potato skins and had steak fajitas and sea bass for mains. It was lunchtime so we both had a milkshake to drink.

All in all we were impressed but I hope business picks up. The guy who was serving us said they hadn't really done any advertising and had just launched their website, so business had been on word of mouth alone. I hope it stays and will def be back, hopefully in the evening to stuff our faces and drink cocktails!

#17 CPConvert

CPConvert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

This has become a faithful fallback for us. Consistently good food, evil cocktailery and possibly the BEST chips (odd that, in a Mehican). Its worth breaching the triangle and venturing 50 yards down the road!

#18 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

I was interested in CPConvert's remarks as i love Mexican but have yet to venture inside as i have yet to actually see anyone inside (i moved into the area two months ago) and it looks a bit dingy from the outside. Is this just mw or have people found it go downhill since it opened?

#19 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

Curzon, I went in there a couple of times but not recently. I found the service a bit haphazard some of the time, even in a nearly empty restaurant. The food was fine but I wish they would offer wine as well as beers and cocktails, since I don't drink beer any more and found some of their cocktails had a weird artificial aftertaste.

#20 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

Thanks Elleme - walked past it on Saturday night and literally empty!

#21 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

I walked past yesterday for the third time in as many weeks and it was shut... I fear, unless it is a mass staff holiday, it may be no longer...

#22 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Oh dear..... an awkward place for a restaurant, but a shame nonetheless.

#23 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

I walked past yesterday for the third time in as many weeks and it was shut... I fear, unless it is a mass staff holiday, it may be no longer...

I hope that I am wrong,Might have to actually try and go in...

#24 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

It's ok Los Amigos is still alive ... maybe missing out on the Lunchtime hours but ready for all...

#25 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

now appears to be shut again - there is a sign on the door saying the premises are alarmed etc. interesting to see what comes in its place - do people think that the triangle (and that side of the road) could take another restaurant/bar?

#26 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Well... I have walked passed this particular venue every day for the last 6 years and NONE looked like they made any profit... No idea if it's the place itself, or just the way they made it look. The place is huge and needs some clever interior designing to make it look more welcoming. Looking into a massif empty room is just not very inviting. You also get a bit less foot traffic as you do on Westow Street and Westow Hill. Nevertheless, look at places like Living Water Satisfies. Who would have thought a charity caf would be such a success!
I think - as it was mentioned in a thread earlier on - we have a LOT more young people with kids in the area. These are mostly people with a reasonable income and time at their hands. So serving that particular clientelle will always be a winner at the mo. I always thought a nice caf, with a separate crèche kinda place where kids can play supervised by somebody you tip, would be a great idea. Kinda like the Kids place in Ikea. This place is big enough for something like that... Ideally the crèche part would be soundproofed though :-))))

#27 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

that's an interesting idea though i assume whoever takes it on will also want to use it in the evenings (a movable creche maybe!)...and i bet the rent isn't cheap being so big. Strikes me as having a lot of potential though with the right product - though hopefully it won't be chain that comes in. i'd love a rib shack/soul food/burger type place with good beers personally to add a bit of something different and relaxed...

#28 Diamandakis

Diamandakis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

I love spice food
Good to visit on Saturday

#29 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

I love spice food
Good to visit on Saturday

You did?! That's odd as the restaurant hasn't existed for some time...