54 replies to this topic

#31 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:59 AM

Errr.... I guess I am just me!

Perhaps not - I hate my real name - Joseph.
Even more embarrassing to me is when I lived in Upper Norwood I was known as "Joey"

Joey was a a popular name for a Budgie in the 60's!

You're lucky you didnt grow up in the late 70' early 80's with a name like that then. If you watched Blue Peter you'll know why....

#32 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

You're lucky you didnt grow up in the late 70' early 80's with a name like that then. If you watched Blue Peter you'll know why....

We had that banned in our primary school. We were called into an assembly with our nun teachers and told that anyone calling someone else a Joey (unless of course, their name was Joey) would be punished......and believe me, the nuns knew how to dish out punishment!

#33 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

We had that banned in our primary school. We were called into an assembly with our nun teachers and told that anyone calling someone else a Joey (unless of course, their name was Joey) would be punished......and believe me, the nuns knew how to dish out punishment!

You quite obviously went to a more strict school than mine. My teacher in 4th year juniors (Year 6 to you kids) actively encouraged it. If you made a mistake in class he would push his lip and lower chin out with his tongue and do the impression.

Speaking of which. The Blue Peter appeal that year was to build Joey a house for him and his mate Ernie. I hosted a bring and buy sale and saved god knows how many milk bottle tops to help. this went on for about 9 months. They raised the money, built his house only for him to do die shortly after. I felt cheated. I blame Ernie. Free house for nothing.....Not that I'm bitter or nuffink

#34 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

What a top teacher! I hope he didn't forget the associated hand and arm movements.
I think we need a new icon to be able to include on posts.

#35 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

What a top teacher! I hope he didn't forget the associated hand and arm movements.
I think we need a new icon to be able to include on posts.

God knows what the PC/Cat hater brigade would make of it Hermit....yes he used the arm movements and sometimes an affected walk to boot, even though poor joey didnt walk.

He used to use rhyming slang in class too. 'Lets have a butchers' etc. He even used to call us 'Berks' too if we were being annoying or stupid, which frankly is outrageous. For those who don;'t know what that means. First name James. Had a song out called 'You're beautiful'...what rudey does that rhyme with and you get the picture.

#36 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

If the Blue Peter producers realised what a national epidemic among school kids they had kicked off, I don't think that they would have run the feature on Joey.

I will leave it there, I think we are going to get told off soon....

#37 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

I will leave it there, I think we are going to get told off soon....

Ok, seeing as how you've asked for it:

Hermit and Saint Luke you are very, very, naughty boys for diverting the OP of this thread into a discussion about Blue Peter. This is a serious topic and I would thank you both to cease trivialising the OP or you will be punished in a variety of painful and humiliating ways :ph34r: :blink: :ph34r: (cracks knuckles, pulls on Jackboots, clicks heels, swishes birch) :ph34r: :blink: :ph34r: .
Now back on topic......

#38 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:00 PM

Ok, just one last one...
At our secondary school, which didn't have the ban (probably thought it was hopeless to try and enforce) we had an Italian boy in our class called Guisepi, who was the schools undisputed joey champion.
During breaks, he and his friend would get the trolley from behind the woodwork classroom, climb in and tour the playground and other communal areas as joey and ernie, much to the amusement of all the other kids.

No more from me now, back to the OP of user names....Oh damn, I have already done mine!

#39 Tintin

Tintin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

Favourite cartoon when I was younger. Must have read all the books (however in German where the character is called Tim, not Tintin). Well, and part of my first name is included in Tintin, so thought that could work. Am not male though...

#40 Acharn

Acharn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:22 AM

Budgie - 'e wos a character, won-ee! (Adam Faith)

My user name? It reflects something about me. Those who understand what it means will almost certainly have something in common with me and therefore, mutual topics for discussion.

Beyond that I cannot tell you anymore. If I did I would have to kill you!

Regards

Acharn

#41 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

Well I didn't understand forum culture back in 2004 and VN was the first forum I ever joined, hence the rather unimaginative monikor, which is jamesL not james1 ,as it often gets mistaken for. I'd actually like a change but apparently this is taboo, something about multiple accounts I think. I sometimes ponder what it might be like to retire my user name and then re-emerge with something a liitle more imaginative. I wonder if it would change how one posts ? Does a user name inform how one writes or behaves.

Thought this was extraordinary

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-14898564

#42 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

Maybe I like to masticate - and write the stories of a spiv
but maybe thats another one - as it could be where I live!

#43 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

Maybe I like to masticate - and write the stories of a spiv
but maybe thats another one - as it could be where I live!

I'll be doggoned if it ain't the latter!

#44 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

Could be squire - could be

#45 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts