• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 foxsoup

foxsoup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

Fairly random really. I needed a distinctive internet domain name, I like foxes, I was eating a bowl of soup... it all just fit together. :P So now it's the name I used for various accounts around the web. Simple!

#47 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

Fairly random really. I needed a distinctive internet domain name, I like foxes, I was eating a bowl of soup... it all just fit together. :P So now it's the name I used for various accounts around the web. Simple!

Radical stuff foxy and welcome to the virtual assylum - hope you will be very happy here :D

#48 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

Okaaay.Listen carefully.As a very young child I was read the story of Little Sambo,a clever Indian boy.I especially loved the bit about the tigers chasing him around a tree and then melting into butter.Once I started in primary school it soon became apparent that Sambo was used as a derogatory term for anyone of darker skin tone and I kept my love of the book to myself.
Decades later I have children of my own and I had the fancy of telling them the story but thought it would be best if I altered the name to Tambo.
What is galling is that I have since discovered that there was a character that featured in old Christy Minstrel shows called,you guessed,Tambo.A character who is portrayed as the fall guy to Jim Crow.
Thankfully it is also used extensively in Peru as a form of way station in the hills and also a geographical feature,a river etc.
I have since created another character using Tambo with a more European surname attached and a different literary focus.
Likes rock and roll,country and western and hip and hop

#49 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

Simples!

Okaaay.Listen carefully.As a very young child I was read the story of Little Sambo,a clever Indian boy.I especially loved the bit about the tigers chasing him around a tree and then melting into butter.Once I started in primary school it soon became apparent that Sambo was used as a derogatory term for anyone of darker skin tone and I kept my love of the book to myself.
Decades later I have children of my own and I had the fancy of telling them the story but thought it would be best if I altered the name to Tambo.
What is galling is that I have since discovered that there was a character that featured in old Christy Minstrel shows called,you guessed,Tambo.A character who is portrayed as the fall guy to Jim Crow.
Thankfully it is also used extensively in Peru as a form of way station in the hills and also a geographical feature,a river etc.
I have since created another character using Tambo with a more European surname attached and a different literary focus.

Crikey that's a story in itself Tambo.

My story is rather boring - Charlie is a childhood nickname. No surprises there. :wacko:

#50 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

I must say I'm disappointed at yours Charlie. I was convinced it was down to your penchant for class a substances........Gianluca Vialli

Tambo. Whenever the Masoods are on Eastenders I think of VN. Tamwar is called Tambo by his brother. *must get out more*

#51 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

My name really is Nik Devlin. I'm known by another, stupider, well-nigh unpronounceable moniker elsewhere on the net, but I was getting tired of using that when I signed up here.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#52 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

We have a "Belo" and "Belli". Somewhere on the forum there must be a "Bela"?

#53 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

Bela? maybe he's in the Mens toilet - as in Bela "Loo-goes-he"

thought I'd get a crap one in (pardon the pun) before 2012! ...........Oooh..........Olympic year beckons.......... I wonder if it will have any noticeable impact on this part of SE London? - if not and I end up as per normal watching it on tv it might aswell be in Beijing or wherever - its gonna look the same as usual except with rubbish weather and a duff opening ceremony - jimmy page, leona lewis, double deckker buses somersaulting policeman what the **** was that all about? where was Austin Powers?

#54 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Get a grip Chewy - Bela, Belo, Belli..................................

I know someone who is working with the creative team for the Olympic Opening and Closing Ceremonies and Austin Powers isn't far off if you get your cryptic head on. My lips are sealed.

#55 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

Austin? - ooh yeah babeeee!

bela belo beli ?- belamus belamatis bemant! -

My joke was you said there must be a Bela on here - so I went for Bela Lugosi - Bela Loo goes he - ha bleedin ha - - was a bit rubbish granted but I still have a grip thank you v much!