Photo

Neo India

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this restaurant?

1. Excellent (20 votes [74.07%])

Percentage of vote: 74.07%

2. Good (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Poor (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Neo India
78 Westow Hill
SE19 1SB
020 8670 2552
020 8761 8989
www.neoindia.co.uk

Edited by Summit Lover, 14 October 2010 - 08:31 PM.

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#2 cathyh

cathyh

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

has no one been in yet???... I am dying to get some feedback on the food, the menu looks good and I guess the seafood menu is the attempt to offer some difference.

#3 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

Looks all very good indeed, but someone here said it would be organic and fair trade, doesn't seem to mention that on their website though. I guess it would make them far too expensive and impossible to compete in the triangle. Nevertheless they promise extra fresh, non frozen food. Which is great. Looking forward to go asap.

#4 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

We went last Friday and it was fantastic - my other half had a fish main dish and said it was the best thing he'd ever eaten (and trust me, he's a pro at eating out - especially curries!). The food is brought out in ceramic dishes, rather than in the usual metal dishes, which makes it feel more upmarket. I had a red mullet starter which was divine, and a lamb passanda which had the most tender lamb ever... :P

As I've mentioned before, I am biased because I know the Neo-India family very well, but I'm really pleased to say as objectively as I can that the food and environment is really top-notch.

I believe that Hussein (the Manager) is planning on introducing 'specials' which will offer even more choice (and more Mauritian dishes), and he's really keen to hear any constructive feedback that you may have...

Go and check it out! There's an offer on at the moment offering a free starter with every main (eat-in) and they're going to start doing take-away deliveries soon... :D

#5 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:04 PM

We went last Friday and it was fantastic - my other half had a fish main dish and said it was the best thing he'd ever eaten (and trust me, he's a pro at eating out - especially curries!). The food is brought out in ceramic dishes, rather than in the usual metal dishes, which makes it feel more upmarket. I had a red mullet starter which was divine, and a lamb passanda which had the most tender lamb ever... :P

As I've mentioned before, I am biased because I know the Neo-India family very well, but I'm really pleased to say as objectively as I can that the food and environment is really top-notch.

I believe that Hussein (the Manager) is planning on introducing 'specials' which will offer even more choice (and more Mauritian dishes), and he's really keen to hear any constructive feedback that you may have...

Go and check it out! There's an offer on at the moment offering a free starter with every main (eat-in) and they're going to start doing take-away deliveries soon... :D

Maybe you should suggest one or two organic main courses. I understand that it would be far to expensive to offer 100% organic on all meats, but a bit would make him the first in the triangle to offer organic meat dishes. Might be worth a try. Of course they would be pricier than the non-organic ones, but people might be willing to pay that....

Edited by misspoddy, 07 October 2010 - 01:05 PM.

#6 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

Reason for Edit

Not knowing the difference between Free Range and Organic *gets back in box*

Edited by St. Lukes Railings, 07 October 2010 - 01:54 PM.

#7 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

Reason for Edit

Not knowing the difference between Free Range and Organic *gets back in box*

I'm sure you are being very constructive and helpful here, I just don't get what you mean?

#8 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:08 PM

I'm sure you are being very constructive and helpful here, I just don't get what you mean?

For some reason I thought Organic was the same as Free Range. Reason I was going to comment was that Crystal Palace Tandoori use Free Range chicken in their curries

#9 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

For some reason I thought Organic was the same as Free Range. Reason I was going to comment was that Crystal Palace Tandoori use Free Range chicken in their curries

Well, they are indeed very different. It's great to have a restaurant that offers free range eggs, but I was talking more about meat anyway. Free range basically means that animals have more space, can run around and behave like they would if you let them do what they want. "Organic" means all that PLUS they don't get fed rubbish, don't get stuffed with antibiotics and don't have to put on a stone a day.... In a nut shell.

#10 cathyh

cathyh

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

we went for an early dinner on saturday nights and greatly enjoyed ourselves. The menu does offer dishes outside of the ordinary Indian menu's with a particular emphasis on fish and seafood. The crab soup is to be recommended, loads of fresh crab claws and meat which kept us busy cracking open for some time!, there are a choice of lighter dishes such as chicken fillet rolled in pomegranate ( very nice) and food is cooked in olive oil which reduces the heaviness of the curry dishes. I had Neo chingri, prawns in a red sauce which was nice adn fresh and my other half had the Murgh Red Handi, he didn't think this was as hot as advertised but he eats raw chilli's for snacks!!, we had my 5 yr old daughter with us and the friendly staff could not do enought to make her welcome and to serve her a nice mild curry which she loved. Service was great, a real family affair, and the use of nice tableware does move it up a notch. There is a special offer on for free starters at the moment so 3 starters, 3 mains, rice, bread, veg side dish, bits and pieces, several drinks and a great choc ice cream for the child all came in less then 60. We left very happy and are already looking forward to our next visit.

#11 Bri_957

Bri_957

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

Ate at Neo India last night and was very impressed with both the food and the service.

The starters were slightly on the small size, maybe due to the fact they were free. But that was the only negative comment.

Both friends enjoyed their meals, and commented on the menu, freshness of ingredients and flavour.

Having recently suffered a slight downturn in the quality of food at Ghurka Cottage (soup like dishes) I'm pleased to have found somewhere else up to scratch.

#12 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:34 PM

Keen to give this place a try :)

I am currently avoiding dairy where possible (it makes me sleepy :yawn: and blocks my nose) which has been a right royal pain as I adore Indian food - which more often than not involves ghee :(

Neo India seems a good bet as they say they cook in olive oil.

#13 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:40 PM

Ate at Neo India last night and was very impressed with both the food and the service.

The starters were slightly on the small size, maybe due to the fact they were free. But that was the only negative comment.

Both friends enjoyed their meals, and commented on the menu, freshness of ingredients and flavour.

Having recently suffered a slight downturn in the quality of food at Ghurka Cottage (soup like dishes) I'm pleased to have found somewhere else up to scratch.

Small starters? Clearly you didn't have the yummy Channa Puri which was a meal in itself.
Lovely place, great food and friendly, welcoming staff. I had a lamb dish with pumpkin and tomato which was very tasty... my dish was quite mild and delicately flavoured, I wasn't up for anything too spicy so it was perfect. For those of you who like it hot, there's LOTS to choose from. Great for fish/seafood fans too.

I work in Tooting and am also a regular on Brick Lane so up to now hadn't felt the need to try any Indian restaurants in Crystal Palace as there's so much else to choose from, but I would be very happy to go back to Neo India.

#14 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

Is the address on here right? - only I looked out for it at 78 Westow St and its an Afro Caribbean hair shop!

#15 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

Is the address on here right? - only I looked out for it at 78 Westow St and its an Afro Caribbean hair shop!

You're right - it's Westow Hill. Will alter, thanks.

SL

Edited by Summit Lover, 14 October 2010 - 08:30 PM.