Photo

Neo India

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this restaurant?

1. Excellent (20 votes [74.07%])

Percentage of vote: 74.07%

2. Good (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Poor (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 shazbut

shazbut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for posting here Shazbut. Customer engagement of the highest quality! :)

You're welcome and thank you.

#32 gruff

gruff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

A group of us went here last week and we all agreed the food was great.
The food has a lightness that you don't often get with curries, and the proof was
every plate cleared. The owner ( I think) came over for a chat at the end and mentioned
some dishes he has planned with more fresh seafood and venison, which I would definitely
be looking forward to.
Service good, beers cold and for less than £50 for four of us pretty good
value.

#33 paras

paras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:07 AM

We went for a meal here on Thursday evening, venturing out in the snow! and had an excellent experience. The service was spot on and the meal was delicious. Being vegetarian, we were particularly impressed by the mushroom starter and the paneer handi dish. The warm chocolate fudge cake was also a good touch as you don't normally find such desserts in an Indian Restuarant. We will definitely be going there again!

#34 cowell

cowell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:19 AM

Have been three times now and my waistline is starting to show! Great great food and a really warm welcome. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful without being too pushy.

#35 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:06 PM

Have been three times now and my waistline is starting to show! Great great food and a really warm welcome. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful without being too pushy.

They are every bit as welcoming for non celebrity punters!

(sorry.... I'll get my coat)

#36 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

Finally made it! It was indeed very nice. The crab soup was fantastic and all the other dishes too. In particular the mauritian lamb dish which name I forgot was very good.
Service was very good too, friendly and helpful without being annoyingly all over you. Didn't have time for desert as mini-poddy was with us and needed to go to bed... Next time :rolleyes:
Will go again!

#37 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

We decided to eat here yesterday evening and were surprised and pleased (for the owner) to find it pretty much full. Luckily for us there was one table left which we nabbed - just as well as people kept coming in. Great food as always.

#38 Howard

Howard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

Hello virtual people of Norwood! Having lurked sporadically around your site for a year or so, I was finally prompted to register by the need to add a comment about this great new addition to the Triangle’s restaurants.

My wife and I went for the first time on Tuesday evening and we were extremely impressed. The starters alone were staggering (as some of you have already mentioned) - my red snapper had a snappy citrusy sauce with it, the like of which I’d never tasted before, and my wife’s crab soup - while putting up a bit of a fight – was rich, deep and spicy. Mains of lamb shank and Margh Tikka Massala were also delicious, as was the sweetest, freshest and all-round best peshwari nan we’ve ever tasted.

However, in my humble opinion, Neo India should take full advantage of the Mauritian side of their menu. My instincts tell me that restaurant goers in this area are adventurous enough to be drawn to a Mauritian restaurant whereas perhaps they’d be more inclined to just ignore yet another new Indian. I mainly say this because the place was as quiet as the grave, and we both felt it seemed a great shame given how much more they have to offer beyond the “old school” (as their menu puts it) Indian food. If their sign said ‘Indian and Mauritian Restaurant’ perhaps they would attract more diners.

#39 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hi Howard, welcome toVN :)

Now you have broken your posting duck please do keep them coming!

I thoroughly agree re Neo India - a fabulous restaurant, but they need to advertise their Mauritian cuisine more overtly as this is indeed their strong point as well as what makes them stand out from the other eateries in the triangle.

#40 Mrs D

Mrs D

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

Had a good meal here last night. Food was great, service was attentive without being overwhelming. They're doing a deal at the moment where starters are free - the onion bahjis were particularly good.

#41 LondonPooley

LondonPooley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

We went to Neo India for the first time on Friday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The service was friendly and attentive and the food was excellent. I had the Tandoori Chicken which was beautifully cooked; moist and tender and full of flavour. There are a lot of unusual things on the menu so we are planning go back and try as many as we can. We would definitely recommend it.

#42 shazbut

shazbut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hi there,
Thank you very much for your comments. I'm immensely pleased that you enjoyed your visit to our restaurant.
When we decided to open an eatery in Crystal Palace, we were very hesitant to make it a Mauritian one because of the high financial risks involved. We therefore decided on an Indian restaurant with a Mauritian touch.
Since it is now very apparent that Neo India's diners are preferring the Mauritian dishes, and, taking your advices on board, we have now changed our shop signage to read "FINE MAURITIAN AND INDIAN DINING"
We are also in the process of preparing new menus to include a few more exotic dishes.So look out for our rather unsual menus to be reaching your doors in the very near future.
Thank you again for your kind reviews and I look forward to seeing you soon.

#43 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

That's fabulous Shazbut - we will be visiting you again soon :)

#44 CrystalEyes

CrystalEyes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Finally ate here for the first time the other week, despite living a 'spit' away and watching the opening in anticipation. I'm not a massive curry fan but my partner is, which can be tricky on curry nights! Not a meat-eater either - both my mushroom starter and prawn main were amazing.

The Mauritian twist certainly gives Neo India the edge - along with Ghurka Cottage with it's Nepalease slant - over the many more 'bog standard' curry houses in the area. I was going to say perhaps alluding to this USP in the name, rather than 'India' might interest people to come and try - I think it would have meant we would have erlier - but note the comments below about changing the signage, if not the name itself.

It's a shame that (granted on a Tuesday in late January) the only other diners left soon after we arrived and no one else turned up while we were there, although I imagine it's much busier at weekends. However this meant we had the undivided (but not overbearing) attention of Hussein himself. We will defintitely be supporting this fine venture again and urge you to too. In fact I joined Virtual Norwood esepecially to tell you to!

#45 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

... In fact I joined Virtual Norwood esepecially to tell you to!

Welcome to VN CrystalEyes (great forum name :)). Neo India is wonderful, I agree - the Mauritian angle and lovely service make it well worth a visit.

Hope to see you ate the next VN Social if you fancy meeting some more locals :)