Photo

Blue Bell Café

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this café? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this café?

1. Excellent (1 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Good (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

Blue Belle Cafe
182 Maple Road Penge
Tel: 020 8659 6505
www.daisycatering.co.uk
(currently closed on Sundays)

Please vote to let us know how you rate this café.

Edited by Summit Lover, 11 October 2010 - 09:29 PM.

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

We learned about this little café through a guide to the top ten London cafés in a newspaper article last year. As the review was so glowing we decided to try it out a couple of months ago - what a treat!

A cozy, brightly decorated café with plenty of outside tables for good weather/smokers. The food is all freshly prepared in front of you and it is divine :P My favourite is the vegetarian hash with diced potato, sweet potato, onions, spinach, tomatoes, peppers etc, plus parmesan and a splash of sweet and thick balsamic reduction. R delights in the full english - perfectly poached eggs, scrumptious sausages :) The omelettes and salads look great too.

Apparently they recently had a tapas evening with live music which was very successful and they have a moroccan themed evening planned for 20th November, again with live music.

If you fancy beautifully cooked fresh food in a relaxed atmosphere this place is well worth a visit.

#3 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

I went there for a fried breakfast some months back, after I saw that it had won The Transmitter Magazine cook out for breakfasts.

I thought that it was realy good, and quite large, with a proper traditional sausage with herbs etc.

The attention of the presentation was first class, I think that the cook had been watching Masterchef!

#4 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the reminder about this hidden gem on the Maple Road market thread, SL! The menu sounds fab!

All-day breakfast
Ricotta, tomato chilli relish and avocado breakfast dips plate with toast fingers
Vegetarian Hash - Sauteed potato and pumpkin, roast peppers and oregano served with a poached egg and parmesan
Omelette with cumberland sausage, goats cheese and caramelized onion
Omelette with chilli and coriander kidney beans, rocket and cheddar
Scrambled eggs with baby spinach, feta and mint served with toasted ciabatta
Full English - Poached eggs, sausage, bacon, potato and mushroom herbed hash,
basil-stuffed tomato and baked beans. Served with orange juice and toast

Lunch
Spiced pumpkin soup in coconut, lemongrass and ginger served with bread
Roasted sweet potato and bulghur salad with parsley and tomato, served with sumac yoghurt dressing
Pear and blue stilton salad with rocket, walnuts and red wine vinaigrette, Baked potato with hummus, chilli kidney beans, baby spinach and cheddar
Sandwiches, Baguettes, Ciabatta
Wide range of Vegetarian, Tuna, Cheese, Ham, Chicken, Egg, Bacon and Sausage fillings.

What a shame that it's not open on Sundays!
Monday - Friday 7:30am - 3:00pm
Saturdays 9:00am - 3:00pm

Edited by GillW, 31 August 2011 - 03:14 PM.

#5 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

I had the Omelette with chilli and coriander kidney beans, rocket and cheddar last time I went - it was sublime!

Yes - great shame about them being closed on Sundays now, as a late Sunday brunch was always our choice after a stroll through the park.

#6 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

GillW, thanks for posting the menu! I will really make an effort to get there now.

#7 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

Finally made it to the Blue Belle and it was great! The best thing is that its got a real local community vibe, with art for sale and a chatty, informative lady named Gladys working the cappucino machines and an excellent cook. Its not a cheap fry up, but worth the trip. Apparently they have occasional music nights and the place is packed to the the gills with the hipsters and happenin' set of Penge - which we learned a lot about and which is a pretty diverse bunch.

Vive la Penge!

#8 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

I'm going to go there for lunch tomorrow - thanks for the reminder, Z!

Aaargh! Darn broken edit function: * there

Edited by Summit Lover, 11 November 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#9 Neets

Neets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Not a mention since 2011!

Nice cafe, friendly/family/community atmosphere, good fresh food/coffee, big cup of tea, local artists work on display http://www.bluebellecafe.co.uk