• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#31 fungigirl

fungigirl

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Yes Charlie you could it would work a treat. :) (Have even been known to pour the cooking juices over the top, cholesterol overload!!! :D )

#32 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:43 PM

This afternoon, after attending the fabulous Sphinx Dining Club event on behalf of the Picture Palace Campaign at the magnificent St. John the Evangelist Church last night and getting to bed at 3.30am :yawn: , our perfect fried breakfast was scrambled eggs with a splash of milk (couldn't face fried), on thick white toast with field mushrooms (sliced) and fresh tomatoes on the half, fried in the fat of some delicious organic dry cured back bacon, washed down with huge quantities of fresh orange juice/water and very sweet, milky strong tea in rather large mugs.

There is the perfect fried breakfast for every occasion! And this one felt very healthy. B)

#33 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

WOW just stumbled across the website for Yew Tree Farm in Coniston which used to be owned by Beatrix Potter.

Check out the breakfast:

Main
A full Lakeland farmhouse Breakfast – Home grown/made sausage, home grown/cured bacon, local or Yew tree free range egg, award winning local black pudding, mushrooms and tomatoes.
Or
Highlander Muffin – smoked salmon and scrambled egg on a hot buttered muffin.
Or
Vegetarian breakfast- Yew Tree Eggs, vegetarian sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes and fried bread.
Or
One of our seasonal specials may be available – Eggs benedict with home layed duck eggs and home cured air dried ham.
Herdwick haggis on hot buttered toast topped with a poached egg.
Speciality bread toast or croissant.
Pancakes with spiced apple and sultanas.
Dry cured lamb with local cheese and speciality bread
Smoked trout kedgeree.

Reason for edit: eyes nearly dropping out of my head

Edited by charlie, 21 October 2010 - 08:46 AM.

#34 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:50 AM

Bumping up my own thread:

The White Hart used to do an excellent fried breakfast with all the trimings.

This morning we were going to have fried puffball but couldn't find a frying pan big enough ;)

Posted Image

#35 domwah

domwah

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:08 PM

...scrambled eggs with a splash of milk ...

my parents used to do that when I was a kid, took me years to realise that its a rubbish way off doing scrambled eggs. No offence of course to your tastes. I just scramble eggs furiously (not angrily, just fast!) in a pan with some nice butter, to get them soft and light and still 'wet'.

Love the bubble references. Used to get that in the Cafe before it was Dominoes on Westow, they always did a lovely brekkie, poached eggs with black pudding, bubble and tinned toms. Mnnnn..simple but delightful.

My own brekkie rule is to not allow a plate to become too brown! Not too much meat, else its unbalanced. Soft scrambled eggs with parsley in there for some greenery, else some simple seasoned wilted spinach. A proper doorstep toasted slice with butter, but not melted butter so the toast needs to cool a little before buttering. Either smoked back rashers with teh nice rind on it, or streaky that isn't too cooked that it's burnt, but well cooked that it snaps!

Always loved tinned tomatoes with my breakfast, and funnily I also remember fried bread and the legendary eggy bread of my scouting youth! As a kid we fried it in lard, which turns my stomach thinking of it these days.

#36 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

We went to the BlueBell Cafe (Maple Rd, Penge) today for brunch - I chose a truly sublime breakfast:
Omelette (delightfully fluffy) with chilli, fresh coriander, kidney beans and cheddar cheese. Will try and add a pic! (if Andreas' instructions work :) )Posted Image

#37 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:22 AM

Ah, now thats more like it! My favourite breakfast on my many trips to India is the Masala Omlette. Eggs, tomatoes, hot green chillies, red onion, herbs and if asked for, Indian cheese. Divine!!!

#38 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:50 AM

my parents used to do that when I was a kid, took me years to realise that its a rubbish way off doing scrambled eggs. No offence of course to your tastes. I just scramble eggs furiously (not angrily, just fast!) in a pan with some nice butter, to get them soft and light and still 'wet'.

Milk no, but a dash of cream... yum.
An ex flat mate, who is Japanese, used to make them with soy sauce (obviously no cream) which was unexpectedly good.
Rachel
My link

#39 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

Migas as in Good enough to eat
Rachel
My link

#40 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

It seems like Sainsburys have stopped doing Kippers in C Palace store - so dont think theres a kipper to be had around here - wheres the nearest kipper outlet anyone - West Norwood?

Edited by ChewderOde, 04 January 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#41 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Chewy - I think it is either Craster or the Isle of Man

Edited by charlie, 04 January 2011 - 04:34 PM.

#42 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

Fried bread topped with cottage cheese, black pudding, bacon and HP sauce with scrambled eggs and gaucamole with tomato on the side washed down with drink of choice preferably neat vodka or tequila shots- only to be risked in the early hours of the morning after a good night out. Not for those of feint heart or stomach.

#43 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Fried bread topped with cottage cheese, black pudding, bacon and HP sauce with scrambled eggs and gaucamole with tomato on the side washed down with drink of choice preferably neat vodka or tequila shots- only to be risked in the early hours of the morning after a good night out. Not for those of feint heart or stomach.

Apart from the black pudding that sounds yum! Although I might swap the cottage cheese for black beans lightly simmered with garlic and cumin. .

#44 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:31 PM

OOps I meant to write cottage cheese and pineapple. The pineapple cuts through the richness of the black pudding. But yes, absolutely yum! Like the idea of swapping the cottage cheese for black beans and very healthy too.........

Edited by charlie, 12 June 2011 - 05:31 PM.

#45 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

I think if we ever had a cooked breakfast competition we would have to get "Mrs Tee" off "Four in a bed" to come along and judge it - for those of you who just might have missed it she was a bonkers german b&b owner who had forthright opinions on such matters as grilling sausages and frying eggs

Edited by ChewderOde, 13 June 2011 - 10:15 AM.