#16 Redbunny23

Redbunny23

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:59 PM

I used to eat squashed brown bread and sugar as a kid. :P

me too!

Now it's salad cream sandwiches. Also instant hot chocolate mixed with a splash of milk into a paste - or even just the pre-mixed powder.

#17 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

me too!

Now it's salad cream sandwiches. Also instant hot chocolate mixed with a splash of milk into a paste - or even just the pre-mixed powder.

Now the hot chocolate thing is a bit weird, but I suppose it's cheat's chocolate spread.

Anything with mustard. Or occasionally just mustard.

Baked beans with cumin, chilli and garlic seasoning cooked in the oven with cheese - occasionally some torilla chips layered in there. Cheap/lazy person's nachos I suppose.

Now the hot chocolate thing is weird, but I suppose cheat's chocolate spread.

Anything with mustard. Or occasionally just mustard.

Baked beans with cumin, chilli and garlic seasoning cooked in the oven with cheese - occasionally some torilla chips layered in there. Cheap/lazy person's nachos.

Love salad cream!

Edited by RachelF, 14 October 2010 - 03:39 PM.

Rachel
My link

#18 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

Mmmm... salad cream. On anything! And I can eat french mustard neat by the spoonful (and often do if no-one is looking).

One little food fad is HP sauce on toast :ph34r: When I was a nurse on night duty (a lifetime ago) we often were too busy to take a break to go to the canteen. The only option was to raid the ward kitchens, and all there was was bread, milk and HP sauce - needs must, and great comfort food.

#19 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

As a child in the 70s I discovered my mother's hoard of boxes of white sugar cubes, tins of marvel and boxes of candles under the stairs. Not sure what that was all about? but they didn't last long. Other favourites at that time were bread sugar and butter under the grill with a dash of cinnamon on top and morello cherry jam sarnies.

My guilty pleasure for the white powdery stuff continues - Readybrek with cold milk.

At school a favourite was tomato ketchup with chips not the other way round. Or the ultimate 6th form lunch down the local cafe - chips and gravy with tartar sauce followed by a game of space invaders.

And in later life I have discovered a liking for white doorstep sarnies with salad cream, cheddar, thick raw onion rings and salt and vinegar crisps or chips.

#20 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

Uncooked pasta shells with frozen peas stuffed inside them!

You will be glad to hear that this is now a one off luxury (I don't have a freezer)

Hermit yours is seriously weird. Preference or laziness?!

Preference- It all started off with raw spaghetti and just got more adventurous.

#21 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

You will be glad to hear that this is now a one off luxury (I don't have a freezer)

Citizen M will be glad - you gave her a case of the vapours :blink:

I think that combination out-weirds my bizarre predilections!

#22 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:06 AM

Hot chocolate powder spooned into the mouth straight from the tub!
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#23 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:05 AM

As a child in the 70s I discovered my mother's hoard of boxes of white sugar cubes, tins of marvel and boxes of candles under the stairs. Not sure what that was all about? but they didn't last long. Other favourites at that time were bread sugar and butter under the grill with a dash of cinnamon on top and morello cherry jam sarnies.

My guilty pleasure for the white powdery stuff continues - Readybrek with cold milk.

At school a favourite was tomato ketchup with chips not the other way round. Or the ultimate 6th form lunch down the local cafe - chips and gravy with tartar sauce followed by a game of space invaders.

And in later life I have discovered a liking for white doorstep sarnies with salad cream, cheddar, thick raw onion rings and salt and vinegar crisps or chips.

I hope you didn't try eating the candles!

childhood fave was battered deep fried luncheon meat at school. (70s. Up north.) Although the non-heated version was good too because you could cut eyes and mouth-shaped bits out of it and make a smiley face. Another good one was white sliced bread and butter and Tate and Lyle's Golden Syrup. Yum.
Currently: B&G 'Bread and Butter chips' at the moment. Not bread and butter and not chips - American sweet pickles. Jar on my desk right now.
Amazon do food now, so tempting to try the US stuff.
Rachel
My link

#24 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

I was going to post about my guilty pleasure of eating Wotsits and Pickled Onion Monster Munch (despite the fact I can't abide onions) but somehow it just seems so 'normal' in relation to what you guys have been posting.

Rachel - I remember battered luncheon meat from school meals in the north too. Did you also have chocolate sponge with mint custard? That was one of my favourites. Could live without the liver and semolina we used to get served though :(.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#25 Redbunny23

Redbunny23

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

Rachel - I remember battered luncheon meat from school meals in the north too. Did you also have chocolate sponge with mint custard? That was one of my favourites. Could live without the liver and semolina we used to get served though :(.

Not on the same plate I hope!

#26 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

One hopes not re same plate.
Didn't have mint custard. A bit too sophisticated for my school. Just plain old yellow congealed stuff with skin, which for some reason the boys always requested. Fine by me. No skin off my nose nor in my dish of steamed pudding.
Friend who sits next to me and also originates from the north says that they had pink custard at her school!

We also used to get a biscuity thing which they called a waggon wheel (not the marshmallowy but just a large biscuit) for desert that was so hard that, when you tried to break into it, it invariably scooted off down the table.

I actually didn't mind the liver and kidneys, oddly.

Sorry straying from guilty eats here a bit.
Rachel
My link

#27 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

Talking of school dinners, I used to love 'Choppies'

Sounds disgusting but it was minced pork covered in breadcrumbs. They'd all been cut into the shape of a pork chop. I dread to think what the actual 'meat' content in them was.

Instead of getting plates, we got ours served on a 'prison issue' plastic tray that carried your knife and fork, drink, main and dessert all in cut out compartments.

Oh and while all these happy memories are coming back, we used to get served water in these cups made by 'duromac' or something, and they all had different numbers on the bottom. If you got the glass with 99 on it, you were king for the day.....

#28 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

One hopes not re same plate.
Didn't have mint custard. A bit too sophisticated for my school. Just plain old yellow congealed stuff with skin, which for some reason the boys always requested. Fine by me. No skin off my nose nor in my dish of steamed pudding.
Friend who sits next to me and also originates from the north says that they had pink custard at her school!

We also used to get a biscuity thing which they called a waggon wheel (not the marshmallowy but just a large biscuit) for desert that was so hard that, when you tried to break into it, it invariably scooted off down the table.

I actually didn't mind the liver and kidneys, oddly.

Sorry straying from guilty eats here a bit.

spelling went to pot in that post! Apologies.
Rachel
My link

#29 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

Yes, we had pink custard too but that one was disgusting. God knows what was in that stuff.

We also had those trays SLR in primary school and I noticed they had them on the Jamie Oliver programme that's on at the moment (the one he did in the US). Brought back memories although I'm not sure even the food we all had back in the 70s and 80s was as bad as what the kids in Huntingdon, West Virginia are expected to eat :blink:.

Sorry, I've derailed the topic somewhat :rolleyes:.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#30 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:22 PM

We used to get rehydrated smash stuff aka 'lumps'. (They didn't mix it properly.
Rice pudding with a tiny spoon of jam that had never been near a fruit (the pips were probably wood chips) known as intestines with blood.
All the dinner ladies had blue or lilac rinses. And some could have got jobs in some torture division of an army.

The pork thing does sound a little odd SLR.

I am running out of trashy eats. But reminiscing is fun!

Edited by RachelF, 15 October 2010 - 02:25 PM.

Rachel
My link