• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#31 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

The weird marmite combo for me was raspberry jam & marmite sandwiches. Guilty pleasure - tapioca. Or semolina. But I recall with horror the school-provided choppies & battered spam & what we used to call "grissoles" - patty cakes of pure gristle fried in lard - I think they made me a teenage vegetarian. I've lapsed back in to meat eating, but the only thing I'll do with spam is use it for fishing bait.

wmp

#32 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

Tapioca aka frog spawn.
I am with you on the Semolina though... with a blob of jam. Childhood comfort food.

I am not sure that this is a guilty pleasure but porridge with cream and brown sugar or treacle.
Rachel
My link

#33 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

Blackcurrant jam and cheese sandwich.
Wine gums or Haribo with Cheddars.

Actually, there's a pattern to mine that I hadn't noticed before.

And I never feel guilty.

#34 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

Officially weird, Spoon!

But having said that honey and cheese is the new trendy thing in restaurants. They've been doing it for years in Italy, but it's taken a while to catch on here. Hmmm truffle honey and pecarino.

But haribo and cheddar?!!!
Rachel
My link

#35 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

As a kid I used to adore something which is probably not normal - dried fish. My grandfather was a fisherman, and my parents have got a fabulous photo of my grandfather standing there carving up a massive dried fish and handing out bits to me (age about six) and the two dogs... :lol: Funnily enough, I didn't use to like 'normal' fish at the time!

#36 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

As a child in the 70s I discovered my mother's hoard of boxes of white sugar cubes, tins of marvel and boxes of candles under the stairs. Not sure what that was all about? but they didn't last long. Other favourites at that time were bread sugar and butter under the grill with a dash of cinnamon on top and morello cherry jam sarnies.

My guilty pleasure for the white powdery stuff continues - Readybrek with cold milk.

god my other half eats readybrek cold - until he moved in with me he'd never had it hot. I can't understand the appeal - it's all powdery. Gross.

I couldn't think of any weird ones for me, though i do like mayo on toast. But the cold readybrek-eating boyfriend also has scrambled eggs on jam and toast, and tikka chicken, mayo, cheese and gherkin sandwiches. Neither of which seem quite normal.

#37 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

Citizen M will be glad - you gave her a case of the vapours :blink:

I'm a bit confused? I thought Citizen M was a bloke...... a geezer at that?

Officially weird, Spoon!

Welcome to the club Spoon! :)

#38 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

I thought Citizen M was a bloke...... a geezer at that?

:o :huh: :blink: :D

Hermit you're not the first to take that view but do let me assure you that whilst I may indeed have the body of a weak and feeble woman, I have the heart of a lion (just don't have the stomach for this deviant thread!)

#39 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:07 AM

whole tin of heinz treacle sponge and custard

#40 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

yum. Want some. Now!
Rachel
My link

#41 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

But having said that honey and cheese is the new trendy thing in restaurants. They've been doing it for years in Italy, but it's taken a while to catch on here. Hmmm truffle honey and pecarino.

If you order the cheeseboard at Mediterranea it sometimes comes with honey and is fabulous. They work really well together, which surprised me really. Best with the really hard cheeses like pecarino.

Just thought of another weird combo. My boss puts Quavers in soup :blink:.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#42 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

If you order the cheeseboard at Mediterranea it sometimes comes with honey and is fabulous. They work really well together, which surprised me really. Best with the really hard cheeses like pecarino.

Just thought of another weird combo. My boss puts Quavers in soup :blink:.

Salty croutons... sort of, I suppose.
Rachel
My link

#43 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:57 PM

Salty croutons... sort of, I suppose.

they would go soggy really quickly though :blink: croutons are made of bread for a reason!

#44 fungigirl

fungigirl

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

I love toast and marmalade dipped in tea also Richtea biscuits with butter dipped in tea.

Other half loves Horlicks and Evaporated milk mixed into a paste he calls this a dessert!!!

#45 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:15 PM

This thread really is wild. I've heard about the toast and butter dipped in tea thing before but it sounds bleugghh to me :D. Love Rich Tea biscuits (sans butter) dipped in tea though and think of it as real comfort food. Great when you are a bit poorly and need cheering up. When I'm full of a cold I also like dipping Rich Tea in hot blackcurrant juice too.
Mel, Forum Moderator