Photo

Norwood Park - Wildlife Team always looking for volunteers!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tintin

Tintin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

Hi everyone,

I think some of you are aware that there is a Norwood Wildlife Team - but since I have not found any info on this forum yet, I wanted to introduce our work here for those of you who are not familiar with us. :)

We are a group of volunteers (no funding by any council) and we aim to turn 3 acres of Norwood Park, into a ‘Perfect Piece of Countryside’ with all the trees, flowers and ferns once native to London.

We work every Saturday from 1-4pm – rain or shine – with a break for tea, biscuits and a chat at 2.30pm. You can find us somewhere along the Country Walk which runs from Finch Avenue (SE27 9TX) to Salters Hill. We are always looking for new volunteers! You would not need to commit to showing up every week or for the full 3 hours, just be there when you can!

Anyway, would be great to see some of you there one day. ;) If you want more info, we now have a website, so visit http://www.norwood-park.org.uk/.

(Question to the moderators: would it be possible to also list the Norwood Wildlife Team on the Community Group page?)

#2 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

(Question to the moderators: would it be possible to also list the Norwood Wildlife Team on the Community Group page?)

Fine to do this, Tintin. You need help?

Had to ask Gekko how to do this myself!
Rachel
My link

#3 Tintin

Tintin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

Fine to do this, Tintin. You need help?

Had to ask Gekko how to do this myself!

Help on that would be great! :) Could you email me or point me to instructions or should I mail the suggested content to anyone? Thanks!!

#4 Tintin

Tintin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:49 PM

We will start clearing about 500 wild blackberries on Saturday, October 30. If you want any for a wildlife project, please come and help dig them out. If you want any for your own garden, they are free if you help lift them or £1 per root, buyer to collect. From mid-November we will be selling three roots in a bag of our own compost along with a small packet of hedgerow seeds for £5.

One of our buyers from last autumn reported that her three brambles were full of bees in the spring and she made six blackberry and apple crumbles in the autumn. :)

See our website for contact details if you are interested.

#5 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:38 AM

Funny, we've spent a huge amount of effort clearing brambles from our lower garden, yet I am tempted to get some good fruiters planted up top.

I had a look at what Wikipedia had to say about blackberries and they sound like a miracle fruit. E.g. 'A... report... assessing antioxidant strength placed blackberry at the top of more than 1000 antioxidant foods consumed in the United States'.

Difference between bramble & blackberry? Looks like in our case it is lower garden & upper garden.

#6 Tintin

Tintin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

John Cotter, the leader of the Norwood Wildlife Team, has recently received a civic award from Lambeth for all his great work in Norwood Park - which I though was well deserved and hence worth sharing. Full news here: http://norwoodparkwi...ecent-projects/

And if anyone is interested in joining, please feel free to just show up one of those Saturdays :-) The charity Froglife dug a pond not long ago but left the site in a bit of an unfinished state - so loads of work to do there!

#7 Tintin

Tintin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

Some events / updates from the Norwood Wildlife Team

Additional Volunteering day – Sept 28th

A group of 8 – 10 people are joining us for a company volunteering day on September 28th from 10am to 4pm. Our environment officer, Dr Iain Boulton, has promised to roll up his sleeves and join in as he has done before when we’ve had outside helpers.
Anyone is welcome to join in – so why don’t you?

You can tighten up your stomach muscles moving clay soil from the pond area or choose a lighter job such as planting around the pond, upgrading some of our twelve sitting areas or repairing the lodging edging along the path.

Norwood Park Centenary Celebrations – Oct 8th

As far as we have been informed, the Norwood Park Centenary Celebration will be on Saturday, October 8th from 12-4pm. We will be running 5 stalls to raise funds, selling seeds, plants, bric-a-brac, clothes and showing some of our 5- off pieces of equipment for hire (but free for schools, etc.) plus offer guided tours of the Country Walk.

Update on the work on the new pond

Froglife, the environmental charity, dug and lined a pond and it has been left to us to landscape and plant it.
Dr Ian Boulton, Lambeth’s Environment Officer, put aside money to pay for plants but we said we will provide them so that this money can be spent on the best possible fence to replace the temporary one. This should help allay the fears of parents with young children.

So far, we have cleared the site of the huge clods left everywhere and we have taken away some 30 barrow loads of clay from a “cliff” likely to collapse on a group of our silver and downy birches. This has been used to fill our original pond which will now become a bog.

When we have caught up with urgent work elsewhere we plan, subject to Lambeth Parks approval, to eliminate the unnatural banks left by Froglife, create a walkway across the north side and make a willow arbour on the flat area at the west end. Let us know if you have any better ideas :)

With regards to planting the pond, we have so far planted some 2,000 lesser celandine around the banks. This should make a great halo of yellow next spring. Around the pond itself we sunk 14 clumps of angled burred and 2 fringed leaf lilies (some of which we fear have been stolen along with all the duckweed we seeded… :unsure: ). When the permanent fence is installed, we will add a native while lily and other pond plants.

Ready to go around the banks we have some 1,000 silver weed plants and clumps of pendulous sedge, hard rush, yellow iris, yellow loosestrife, meadow sweet and marsh mallow. Gifts of other suitable plants would be much appreciated and help us continue a ten-year policy of running the Country Walk without any cost to Lambeth.

http://www.norwood-park.org.uk/.