121 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

There are a few outliers on price in the triangle for beer (lets leave Wetherspoons out of this) and I was wondering what people's thoughts are on this. 4 quid for a hoegarden or whatever is I guess to be expected but nearly 3.50 for a pint of standard lager is not really on. 3.50 or so for a Guinness as well is a little bit steep....
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#2 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

It's a sign of CP becoming recognised as trendy and a desirable place to live, I guess.

I do agree with you though, drinking beer in a nice pub is becoming an expensive luxury these days. I stick to real ales mainly, and the prices at the G&G are reasonable. I can't speak for other pubs in the area but 4 for Hoegarden is ridiculous. I wouldn't even expect it to be that much in the West End.

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

I really despise Hoegarden so wouldnt pay tuppence for it !

I drink Ram & Ordinary ( Light & bitter ) down the bell 3.10 for a quality pint.

However wandering round the triangle last night I did notice that all the pubs were pretty dead. You can understand why weatherspoon does so well nowadays.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

I never drink Hoegarden and wouldn't pay 4 for a pint. I'm a bitter drinker too and only really drink lager in hot weather. Bitter tends to be cheaper as I guess it's less fashionable and not considered a premium product. Suits me fine.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 Chris73

Chris73

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

We should count ourselves lucky! I work in Twickenham and the local there is 3.90 for FOSTER'S!!! Scandalous!
I always found the White Hart to be relatively reasonable. I think 3.50 a pint is par for the course these days sadly.

Hoegaarden and the like will always be more expensive as it's a speciality beer.

That said San Miguel in Los Toreros went down very smoothly at The Sphinx After Party for only 3.10

#6 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

If you drink light & bitter you always get more than a pint as your guvnor should always serve you a generous half pint with you bottle of light ale.

gekko top tip if you drink light & bitter you can regulate the tempreture of your pint by asking for a chilled light ale which makes it a bit more refreshing in the summer !

Should add that to top !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#7 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Bitter tends to be cheaper as I guess it's less fashionable and not considered a premium product. Suits me fine.

Bitter and ale has always been the premium product in my book. Most popular lagers are *[self-censored]*.

White Hart might be reasonable for beers, but don't ever buy crisps in there. £1 a pack last time I asked! This ain't Richmond.

Edited by matt-h, 20 October 2010 - 03:29 PM.

#8 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

Cheers Dazza.

Matt - I'm not sure most pubs see it that way. I went to the Dulwich Wood House over the summer and couldn't even get bitter on draught. Also, the White Hart can be very hit and miss in its ale supplies. These places obviously value lager over real ale and charge a high price for anything other than a bog standard pint of p***. Can't remember what the DWH prices were but I remember being taken aback, having been forced to drink lager due to the lack of draught bitter.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#9 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

I have just joined CAMRA (campaign for real ale) membership 20 per year and now get 20p off a pint in the G+G.
Also had a recent offer of 20 worth of free vouchers for all Wetherspoons, so have made savings by just joining.
By the way, The Postal Order realy isn't as bad as most people think, have certainly been to much worse spoons.
The staff there would also put to shame the abilities of one of our busiest pubs staff.

#10 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

Welcome to the club Hermit! I do feel a bit guilty sometimes though as it is a campaign and not a drinking society... Feels like I should be doing a bit more activism. :rolleyes:

I just love beer though. I mean... I really, really love it. To the extent that I build my holidays around beer festivals and cottages near decent pubs. Annoys the wife, but it keeps me happy :)

As for beer prices on the triangle - I don't mind paying for ale. I've been known to get takeouts from the G&G on more than one occasion. It's an expensive way to drink beer at home, but it's well worth it for the taste.

Edited by Elmo, 20 October 2010 - 06:07 PM.

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#11 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

You can get ale takeouts!? :blink: :D How does that work?

#12 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

Beer is poured into a 2 pint carton or 4 pint jug, is sealed, and taken home. I will admit that it doesn't taste as good as it does in the pub, but it's better than nowt.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#13 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:07 PM

I was in the G&G tonight. Forgot to ask about takeouts, they sound odd! Had a lovely pint of Pure Gold and a couple of Scotneys. Lovely stuff. Bought a round of 2 Scotneys, 1 Amstel and a small coke for 11.05 which seemed good value to me compared to other local hostelries.

It's probably not fair to compare these prices with the Sam Smiths by Anerley station though. Much cheaper there, obviously. Interesting atmosphere too...

#14 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:05 AM

I'd happily drink beer over bog standard lager. The G&G's Broadside the other day I think was 3.20 or so which was ok. It's paying over the odds for something ubiquitous and standard that is objectionable really.

JDW's prices are good and the beer can generally be ok but the atmosphere is dead. I suspect some of the local pubs could look at what they charge but then they would probably say they charge what they need to to stay afloat.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#15 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:59 PM

I quite agree about the lack of atmosphere in the spoons, but it does make it quite a nice option for those who want to read a book, paper or work on their laptop.

Still quite impressed though with the range of ales available in the triangle, spoons and G+G make up over ten between them, White Hart normaly has three and the other pubs contribute to that.

The prices of beer is sadly bound to go up with the new VAT increase, normaly rounded up to the nearest 10p, which would explain why so many pubs are now shutting down, too many taxes (and the smoking ban of course).Ho hum....