121 replies to this topic

#31 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

Must admit Fang I concur with your comments about the Westerham brewery.

The Railway Bell are also having a mini fest & have added Hobgoblin & Broomstick to their ranges of bitters. These guest beers are 2.50 .

They are having a couple of guest beers each week for the next few weeks but are particular looking forward to the cornish ales Doombar & Tribute .

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#32 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

Turrets Clinic? :blink:

Do unexpected expletives keep ringing out?

You haven't been there have you?

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#33 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:55 PM

The Grape & Grain serve ale as an artform really. I think other hostelries on the triangle possibly just serve it to make up the numbers and save having a third Fosters draught.

Alma does good Guinness though it has to be said.

The Alma's ale is shocking, agreed, but the Guinness is that ice cold version and so doesn't actually taste of anything.

#34 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

Sort of related:
http://www.guardian....-ale-beer-sales

#35 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

Hail to the Ale !

#36 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:16 PM

Good article. Nice to see 'Purity' heavily featured. Always a favourite, Purity Gold is the sort of ale that helps convert lager drinkers.

#37 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:58 AM

Summer lightning by the hop back brewery is also a good converter for lager drinkers !

The Bell has the next new guest beers for the end of the week 1 is by the Hogs back brewery TEA ( Traditional English Ale) a particular favourite of mine but also at a great price 2.50 pint. Sorry cannot remember the other one !

Dazza

#38 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:08 AM

Now..... I know that the thought of this will appal all you bearded and leather waist-coated real ale drinkers but I had a sip (or several actually) of a lovely Double Chocolate Stout at the Dulwich Woodhouse recently :P If they sold it in the triangle it might well tempt me from my usual grape based tipple.

#39 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

If they sold it in the triangle it might well tempt me from my usual grape based tipple.

The Grape and Grain stock Meantime's Chocolate Stout, which is just as good as Young's version.

As a fully paid up CAMRA member, I'd like to add my support for chocolate beers. A good quality one (like Youngs' Double Chocolate Stout) is actually very difficult to acheive - most efforts simply taste like someone's dropped a Mars bar in a pint of bitter!

And the Majestic wine warehouse in Alleyn Park often sells Double Chocolate Stout by the case!!

#40 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:21 PM

I'm sure there is a market for chocolate Ale but i dont get it myself !

Dazza

#41 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:37 PM

Now..... I know that the thought of this will appal all you bearded and leather waist-coated real ale drinkers but I had a sip (or several actually) of a lovely Double Chocolate Stout at the Dulwich Woodhouse recently :P If they sold it in the triangle it might well tempt me from my usual grape based tipple.

You forgot to mention the chunky brown corderoy trousers summit lover. :D

I had a triple yes triple chocolate stout at The Falcon by Clapham Junction last night.
Brewed with cocoa beans, real chocolate and chocolate syrup. Actualy quite nice and you could taste the stout too. Good pub as well, about ten different ales on tap.

Another good one if you are in town is The Bree Louise between Warren Street and Euston station.
Nineteen different ales, six on pump, the rest gravity. Huge changing blackboard of what is on. Also 50p off per pint for CAMRA members.

#42 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:38 PM

You forgot to mention the chunky brown corderoy trousers summit lover. :D

I had a triple yes triple chocolate stout at The Falcon by Clapham Junction last night.
Brewed with cocoa beans, real chocolate and chocolate syrup. Actualy quite nice and you could taste the stout too. Good pub as well, about ten different ales on tap.

Another good one if you are in town is The Bree Louise between Warren Street and Euston station.
Nineteen different ales, six on pump, the rest gravity. Huge changing blackboard of what is on. Also 50p off per pint for CAMRA members.

#43 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

The Bree Louise is great but sadly I think too many people know about it now and it's very difficult to get a seat and there's not a lot of room to stand.

#44 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:09 PM

Never been there but sounds like a visit is in order. I hope no choc beers are in service when I visit though !

The falcon is a pub which i have always visited on the way to royal ascot every year ! 20 years + now !

Dazza

#45 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

Chocolate beers are the only one's that appeal personally - that and Murphys which you sadly can't find anymore.

Going a tad off topic here I know but I fervently WISH that you could buy cava or prosecco by the glass in pubs in the triangle. I know that bottles can go flat if not drunk quickly enough but some other places stock them in tiny bottles which provide a good glass full.