• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 goldie

goldie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:50 AM

hello out there. any of you frequent the greyhound in croydon. used to bus it down to queue up and never knew who was going to be on. were talking about 1971/74. lucky to say saw, the quo, bowie,uriah heep,roxy music,argent,p.frampton et all. cost 50p(10bob) to get in and the beer was 40p(8bob)!!!happy daze!

#2 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:31 AM

OMG !

Yes remember it well...

What a shame to see this link

https://p10.secure.h...rock-venue.html

#3 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

Yes - remember it well! Frequented it 1967-70. Saw Deep Purple there amongst others...

#4 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

I almost wish i was 10 years older to witness thes live performances in small venues by the time i got to adulthood & could go to concerts the price of tickets went silly.

Must admit I never new that David Bowie played at the greyhound as i am a bit of a Bowie officiado !

I have been to quite a few Bowie tribute evenings in local pubs where he originally played over the years & the greyhound wasnt one of them.

But now I know !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#5 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

saw my first ever proper concert there I think = Gong! (flying teapots etc)

#6 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

Following on from this & Croydon's musical heritage, did anyone ever go to the Star (now an Irish pub with a different name) at West Croydon in the 60s? I saw Hendrix there, John Mayall (with Eric Clapton), Captain Beefheart, Champion Jack Dupree, Chicken Shack to name but a few... aaah - them were the days!

#7 goldie

goldie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

I almost wish i was 10 years older to witness thes live performances in small venues by the time i got to adulthood & could go to concerts the price of tickets went silly.

Must admit I never new that David Bowie played at the greyhound as i am a bit of a Bowie officiado !

I have been to quite a few Bowie tribute evenings in local pubs where he originally played over the years & the greyhound wasnt one of them.

But now I know !

Dazza

dazza when i saw bowie at the greyhound he was performing alogside mott the hoople. not sure of year but probably 1972

#8 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:42 AM

Maybe Bowie was not headlined & was just a special guest perhaps ?

Anyway as matt would say Thanks Dude !

Dazza

#9 VKJ

VKJ

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

But now I know !

Dazza

Bowie was absolutely brilliant. Still is. I remember I went to a fancy dress as Aladdin Sane. It took at least 4 days to get the lightening streak off my face. The looks I had from other passengers on the train, so embarrassing.

#10 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:00 PM

Wish I could have seen that VKJ ! But no one even gets close to David Bowie in my eyes perhaps David Byrne of talking heads possibly !

Christ when you look at all the clap trap out there now you would think someone would emerge with similar talent.

Dazza

PS Still dead jealous though ! The smallest Venue I have seen Bowie at was the Shepheads Bush Empire , I was standing mext to Brian Eno as well !

Edited by Dazza, 12 November 2010 - 02:04 PM.

#11 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

Wish I could have seen that VKJ ! But no one even gets close to David Bowie in my eyes perhaps David Byrne of talking heads possibly !

Christ when you look at all the clap trap out there now you would think someone would emerge with similar talent.

Dazza

PS Still dead jealous though ! The smallest Venue I have seen Bowie at was the Shepheads Bush Empire , I was standing mext to Brian Eno as well !

Bowie is a bit on and off in terms of proucing good stuff.
Hunkie Dory was might first album of his and one of my faves. Close second is The Man Who Sold the World, then Ziggy. Saw Bowie in a football stadium in Manchester. Not good.

David Byrne good too, although you would never get to look him in the eyes...!
Rachel
My link

#12 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

I have been lucky I have seen Bowie in excess of 20 times & have not been dissapointed well apart from when he worked with Tin Machine but just being in the same venue as the man is value enough.

Rachael how could you say that about a rock Icon !

Dazza

#13 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

The former drummer for Uriah Heap is a resident of the area. Our neighbour in fact. V. nice guy with a v. nice dog.

#14 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:48 AM

So he ended up in Penge.... I bet he put that in his autobiography!

#15 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

My first serious,night
out with recently ex-school mates. It was Rory Gallagher in 1972. I wasn't that interested in white blues at the time but the music played by the Mr.Fox roadshow DJs was a revelation. Remember going to their shop in Station Rd the next day and I was hooked, couldn't keep a paypacket intact for quite some time.
Having membership was always handy as you got reduced admission & preference for the occasional big name gig. I even remember engaging Peter Gabriel in conversation at the end of the bar, one starry eyed night. I could probably fill the entire page with a list of the bands I saw. Like alot of people it was my local on a sunday night for many a year, up until punk started. I then moved out of the area cos I married an Essex girl.
I would love to say I was at the Bowie gig in june '72 but alas I didn't go that night. Up until about early '73 I was a serious athlete and that took priority. I did get to see him at the Fairfield Halls the following year. BTW, Goldie, it was Roxy Music who supported that night at the Greyhound.
My best gigs from memory were all the Budgie, Stackridge just because it was always a great atmosphere, Greenslade, Nektar, Billy Cobham though plagued with a few tech problems maybe because his kit filled the entire stage! Top of the tree was Queen when I managed to get a spot right by the side of the stage by the speakers and was in competition with Freddie's roadie when he had to catch stuff that Freddie threw at him. I caught the black tambourine at one point then, doh, gave it back with a cheeky smile.
Oh dear I could ramble on for some time about this but suffice to say it was a great proving ground for bands and teenagers alike
Likes rock and roll,country and western and hip and hop