• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

gawd - there are some names havent heard of in a while - my sister liked Stackridge - mutter slater (or the like) I seem to recall was their front man - Ive still got an album by Nektar lurking away somewhere - and Billy Cobham - he still cuts the mustard - a big influence on Massive Attack too, who sampled some of his stuff on Blue Lines

#17 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

gawd - there are some names havent heard of in a while - my sister liked Stackridge - mutter slater (or the like) I seem to recall was their front man ....

I wasn't aware of Stackridge at the time but I know Mutter now - he lives in Bridport now. Quite a character! :P He plays a fair bit with various others locally - amazing flautist!

Stackridge play together still now and then - I saw them earlier this year and they were brilliant.

#18 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:13 PM

Just to tag on to this thread.

White Swan at CP friday nights a young Mr David Jones (think about it) and a young Mr Bolan getting kitted up for the w/end parties !

Also the drummer of T-Rex (forget his name was it Finn?)roaring up and down Westow Hill / Church Road on his motorbike.

#19 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

Just to tag on to this thread.

White Swan at CP friday nights a young Mr David Jones (think about it) and a young Mr Bolan getting kitted up for the w/end parties !

Also the drummer of T-Rex (forget his name was it Finn?)roaring up and down Westow Hill / Church Road on his motorbike.

Couldn't imagine Mickey Finn gamboling on a moped let alone a motorbike or maybe he had a side to him that I wasn't aware of. He was Bolan's percussionist, loosely speaking. I Think of him as Bez was to the happy Mondays. It was probably Bill Legend.
Rocked to hear that Mutter is still going although I note that he retired from Stackridge this summer
Likes rock and roll,country and western and hip and hop

#20 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

[quote name='Tambo' date='12 December 2010 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1292156372'
Rocked to hear that Mutter is still going although I note that he retired from Stackridge this[/quote]

Sadly true, although they recently were persuaded to go to the US to do a live performance as a tv series had evidently been featuring one of their tracks. Mutter still plays quite a bit with his own band and various others - he still has a great voice.

Edited by Summit Lover, 12 December 2010 - 02:18 PM.

#21 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

Couldn't imagine Mickey Finn gamboling on a moped let alone a motorbike or maybe he had a side to him that I wasn't aware of. He was Bolan's percussionist, loosely speaking. I Think of him as Bez was to the happy Mondays. It was probably Bill Legend.
Rocked to hear that Mutter is still going although I note that he retired from Stackridge this summer

My grey cells are fading fast. From the time span that Bill Legend was the drummer would link with my recolection of the very early 70's. (At best hazzy back then lol)

It was about 1971/2

Not far from the greyhound was the newly opened fairfield halls (is it still there?) another great venue.

Can anyone remember the pub in Croydon where Osibisa used to play in the early 70'2?

#22 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

My grey cells are fading fast. From the time span that Bill Legend was the drummer would link with my recolection of the very early 70's. (At best hazzy back then lol)

It was about 1971/2

Not far from the greyhound was the newly opened fairfield halls (is it still there?) another great venue.

Can anyone remember the pub in Croydon where Osibisa used to play in the early 70'2?

Dont think it was that - but do remember going down to the Cartoon - near Broad Green - where they used to have live bands - think it might have been a bit metally

#23 Airbus1

Airbus1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

I used to go to the Greyhound every Sunday even saw Queen there before they made seven seas of rye.
Quo played here about 4 times a year and always did the New Years Eve gig.
The usual favourites were Groundhogs, Hawkwind, Mott the Hoople, Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy, Wizard, Focus, Rory Gallagher,Lindisfarne the list is endless. These bands were local to us and the music legendary. We couldnt afford the 50p entrance fee so climbed across St.Georges walk and forced the doors making a dramatic entrance when the blackout curtains opened.
Ah happy days, the Greyhound looks a little tired these days