Crystal Palace Zoo in the 70s

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:36 PM

I keep having discussions with people not from the area about the fact we used to have a great kiddies zoo during/around the 1970's and had penguines in a pool - plus they used to have camel rides around a circuit down by the gorilla statue....does anyone else remember it too.... :rolleyes:
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#2 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:20 PM

i remember one where you used to cross on a sort of causeway and it was on an island or at least semi surrounded by water.

At least i think i do, but now im not sure if i made it up? Or maybe it wasnt in CP Park?

#3 Simmondsan

Simmondsan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:30 PM

there was a childrens zoo in CP before the refurb started. Great shame that it is no longer there, my children loved it. No penguins though.

#4 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:30 PM

yes you had to go over the bridge to get into the zoo and buy your peanuts and raisons for the goats....ha ha :D

#5 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:37 PM

Oh good - Im not making it up then. The reason I was doubting myself is cos i cant think where it was. Was it at the boating lake near the dinos?

I also remember the rides up and down - though only remember it being ponies, not camels.

Do you remember the "adventure playground"? All rickety painted wood, nailed together and tyre swings which the big boys hogged. That place (with hindsight) was SOO dangerous. Or maybe it wasnt actually as big and high as it seemed to me at the time.

#6 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:47 PM

Is the adventure playground not still there? :( I haven't been to that corner of the park in ages and kinda presumed it was still there. It was dangerous, especially when the big kids pushed you off the platforms :rolleyes:

I remember the zoo as well and am pretty sure it was ponies not camels.

#7 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:49 PM

the zoo was on an island where the bridge is at the moment it was closed i think in the late 80's and left derelict for ages..... its a shame...... im looking forward to the new and improved zoo being open...well....actually soon - if news from the park is right..... ah those were the days..... B)

#8 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:53 PM

No, the adventure playground went yeeeeeeaaaars ago.

Shame - I might have got a go on the tyre swings now i'm a bit taller

#9 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:55 PM

No i definatley went on a camel there unless it was a very deformed pony!!!!

I always wanted to be big enough to go on the adventure playground...but to my dispare i woke up one morning and said 'yes, im big enoughto go down and play with the big kids...' when i got to the park it had been bulldozed by the health & safety people <_<

#10 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:03 PM

I remember going to the CP sports centre when the dinghy exhibition was held there in the late 60s /early 70s (my father proudly exhibiting a Sunday-Times-sponsored self-built dinghy) & being entertained by a view through the windows near the pool area by what I thought were camels & some other strange things that looked like a cross between sheep & cows (llamas??). I was, however, an imaginative child.... :P but may be, on reflection after reading this thread, I did see them...

#11 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:20 PM

No wait, I also defintely remember llamas.
Welcome to the forum wmp (how do you pronounce that?)

And Twinkle, you've made me sound old (or maybe just taller ;) )

#12 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:33 PM

And i am younger/shorter than andyb, and older/taller than twinkle....

I think.

#13 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:46 PM

Anyone used to go sledging on the really steep hill on the left of the concert bowl (as you look at it) when it snowed? It used to get packed.

On a good sledge you could go all the way down into the bowl bit.

#14 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:51 PM

No, I went sledging nearer to my (then) home. In the Rookery at the top of Streatham Common. There is, or at least was, a much steeper hill that went down to the Tenns Court. You either had to fall off at the end or launch yourself into the court railings. Cool B)

By the way, if anyone's never been to the Rookery it's worth a look. Nice gardens and a rolling park.

#15 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:52 PM

arent there rather a lot of trees in the rookery....?

Adds to the danger i suppose.