48 replies to this topic

#31 wendy sam2

wendy sam2

Palace Princess

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

I remember the zoo! There were penguins, monkeys and otters. You had to go through the turnstiles to get in, the guinea pigs and rabbits were in a pen in the middle! And the goats would try to eat your coat! There is still a sign that points in the direction and says 'To the Zoo', at least is was there last time I looked. Its on the walk way through as you come out of the station and turn right into the park. And of course the flamingos!

#32 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:56 PM

Just goes to show you what bromley have done to the park over the last 20 years its rubbish !

Probably not allowed to say that !

There is now nothing memorable about the park even the dinos are coloured in bland colours.

Dazza

PS Glad someone finally remembered the smelly flamingo's
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#33 Sasha

Sasha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

oh yes that flamingo smelt so bad, why was it never cleaned. LOL
I remember going to the kiddies Zoo during the summer holidayd feeding the goats the peanuts and going to see the rabbits. I had great fun. Sad to here its no longer there It was simple but great for kids

#34 Sedgley Warrior

Sedgley Warrior

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

The zoo was still kinda there when I first moved here about 8 years ago but all I can remember of it was the pink flamingos which were located just up from the dinosaurs, going toward the station. You can still see the area in which they were kept but it's obviously very rundown now.

They should definitely bring the flamingos back.

#35 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:20 PM

I've only lived in CP for 4 years, so I never knew the park before that, but I have to say I am very fond of the dinosaurs! I can't wait till my baby is born and old enough to go and see them! :D

#36 wendy sam2

wendy sam2

Palace Princess

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:18 PM

There used to be emu's, opposite the smelly flamingos!

#37 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:00 PM

You are absolutely right about the emus! That was archived quite a way back in my memory drive . My personal favourite when I was young was the pony rides by the palace cafe.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#38 Sasha

Sasha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

ah the donkey rides I had forgotten all about them till I read that I love them, ah memories

#39 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

This post brings back memories - I have photo's of me on a school trip to the zoo, looking very frightened as goats wander around us. I also remember seeing the dinosaurs on Play school once 'through the window', and being very excited

#40 Sasha

Sasha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

am I right in thinking the goats always ponged a bit to

#41 Aunty

Aunty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:32 AM

Reading all this has brought lots of memories - mixed feelings too. I must have been a bleeding lefty from an early age because I just remember how small the zoo was and most off all how cramped the living conditions were for the animals - especially the penguins and monkeys. It was an old school zoo of the worst sort. Sorry to those with happy childhood memories!

The farmyard was a bit better for the animals. My son and I had lots of happy days there when he was small. The main entertainment for him was me dropping all the animal food and shrieking in terror at the knee high headbutting goats!

:D

#42 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:14 PM

The animals may have been a bit cramped but on the other hand they were well loved, well fed and never bored. Sometimes we get a bit too sentimental about animals. There are many people who live in cramped conditions and are badly fed, totally unloved and extremely bored with no chance of anyone paying to look at them!

#43 Aunty

Aunty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:26 AM

How does that justify keeping several monkeys in a very small cage and penguins in a pool the size of a bath tub?

#44 Sasha

Sasha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:02 PM

I have to say I was there a lot as a child and I always thought the animals looked happy enough :ph34r:

#45 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

There used to be emu's, opposite the smelly flamingos!

They were Rheas. Gotta get your ratites right... :P