• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CPAndy

CPAndy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

I'm a 48 year old recent graduate. I got a 1st in Business Information Technology at Greewnich Uni and I'm looking for ANY kind of work preferably around the Palace. I have a varied work history including technical management, retail management, upholstery, projectionist and of course computers (anything within IT I can probably do or be able to learn). Basically I will have a go at anything and will usually grasp most things quickly. I'm personable and intelligent with a willingness to try anything. I'm sure that with xmas coming there must be some opportunities going in the Palace for me. Please PM me if anyone knows of anything as I want to work so badly and don't want to be signing on much longer (I have done it for 4 weeks now and it is demoralising). Thanks to anyone who can help.

Andy

#2 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

A friend was talking this weekend about having her two-seater sofa upholstered - how much might you charge for that, Andy (and if you could give me a vague notion of what a medium-price/weight fabric might cost that would help her work out whether it was more or less affordable to re-cover the old sofa or buy a new one). Best of luck in your job search.

#3 CPAndy

CPAndy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

Hi Gill

I haven't done any uphostery for a few years now and don't have the tools anymore (I put it down to more show the different jobs I've had ). However a two seater sofa would require about 10 yards of fabric and a rough price would be about 10 a metre (though you could get it cheaper and plainer) but factor in the cost of labour and unless the sofa is antique or very much loved it's not normally worth getting redone. It can cost as much as a new sofa and I have very rarely got commissions to recover sofas when I have told clients the price. Thanks for your interest though and for wishing me luck.

Andy

#4 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:20 PM

Not at all, Andy, and your advice is much appreciated. :)

#5 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:51 PM

Andy, see the thread Charlie has started on jobs for the Census 2011!