Photo

Central heating - powerflush recommendation?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

Can anyone recommend a reliable and preferably not too expensive heating powerflush service? I've got cold spots in half my radiators and wish I'd thought about this a few months ago! I'm at the CP end of Lawrie Park Road.

#2 domwah

domwah

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

Can anyone recommend a reliable and preferably not too expensive heating powerflush service? I've got cold spots in half my radiators and wish I'd thought about this a few months ago! I'm at the CP end of Lawrie Park Road.

have you bled them?

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

There is not a flush system that will make your radiators work you system needs to be balanced set correctly & air removed from the system. Could even be your pump running down.

I would suggest you get someone to give your system a service.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

Steve Hibbert of SH Heating is your man, whether you want a powerflush (he did mine) or a service etc. I dont have his contact details to hand, but do a search for him on here, he is popular and highly recommended.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#5 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:24 PM

I had a new boiler and pump installed last year and the system was checked, balanced and chemicals added a couple of weeks ago to try and cure the problem... I should really have had the whole thing flushed out when the boiler was put in.

Edited by Nork1, 30 November 2010 - 01:30 PM.

#6 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

They do normally recommend/insist that you have a powerflush when installing a new boiler, and it does make a massive difference. The amount of sludge that came out of my radiators, I was gobsmacked.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#7 CityView

CityView

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

Are they supposed to take all the rads off to do this, or do they remain attached to the wall? Just wantted to know what to expect as we're having ours done later this week. I was told by our plumber that this is essential as if the new boiler breaks within its guarantee the first thing the manufacturer will check is the quality of the water. If there's lots of water iron (sludge) then they will point the finger to that.

#8 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

The radiators remain on the wall, and they will hook up the pump to the inside of the boiler. The pump is connected to a large tub of water, this is then flushed thru the system again and again, and it will turn black as all the sludge collects in the tub! And I understood the same about having it done as a matter of course when having a new boiler fitted. Good luck!

#9 CityView

CityView

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

great, thanks for letting me know.

#10 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

As the system has been refilled recently, it is quite possible that air trapped during the filling process has now collected in the radiators. This would result in cold spots at the top of the radiators.

It is quite easy to bleed a radiator, but some precautions are necessary. Do NOT attempt to bleed radiators whilst there is hot water in the system or the heating pump is on.

Using a radiator bleed valve key or, in some cases, a screwdriver, undo the bleed valve anti-clockwise until you hear the hiss of air or water comes out [Do NOT remove the bleed valve]. Use a paper towel around the bleed valve to prevent the water doing any damage. When water comes out, re-tighten the bleed valve and move to the next radiator.

Depending on the type of boiler/system you have, it may be necessary to top up the water level/pressure manually. Refer to the boiler instructions on how to do this before bleeding any raditors.

Flushing will remove the sludge and debris that has built up in the pipes and radiators over the years and will improve efficiency. However, it can reveal weaknesses in an older system and may lead to further expenses.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#11 spoiltdog

spoiltdog

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hi I would like to add a recommendation for excellent plumber that has just done a power flush for me.Result central heating now working to its full potential House is so much warmer .Plumbers name is Ade 07961981944 very reasonably priced and local tradesman

#12 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:46 PM

I would try Christian - he is a plumber and gas safe but very reasonable...Has installed boiler and refurbished my bathroom. Also saved me from the builders from hell by advising they weren't installing things right when I had my kitchen fitted. Has done the same for a few friends.

If he can save you money he will but plays by the rules re. Gas Safe.

His number is 07859063388.

I always get other quotes etc. but go back to Christian as he's reliable and doesn't rip people off as he's very relgious.

Edited by sunray, 03 December 2010 - 11:48 PM.

#13 mandyt

mandyt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:21 AM

Hi I would like to add a recommendation for excellent plumber that has just done a power flush for me.Result central heating now working to its full potential House is so much warmer .Plumbers name is Ade 07961981944 very reasonably priced and local tradesman

Hi - Gary Cooper is who I've used for a new boiler, two bathroom fits and radiator flushes - he's flexible and does a great job. I would recommend him - he does lots of work in Dulwich so coming over to CP is easy for him. His number is 07909918842. Nice and friendly guy - will do/organise other things like plastering and tiling too if you need.

#14 belo

belo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

I've just been quoted £825 by British Gas for a powerflush and a mega booster filter applied. It's for a 3 bedroom flat. Is that an extortionate price? Does anybody have any recent experience of this? And, recent recommendations? All the names above only have 1 off recommendations. Can anbody 2nd, or 3rd any of them?

Thanks.

#15 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Yes - British Gas always add about 40% to their prices from experience having a few quotes off them.

Try SH Plumbing & Heating - Steve & Carni have a great professional yet personal service.

Give them a call and they can come round and quote up.

020 8461 0049
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com