• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

Any tips? I can't find mine on the 1911 census and we don't have the deeds, although I suspect that info might not be on there anyway.
Rachel
My link

#2 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

If you tell us at least the name of the road and if appropriate a range of numbers that look the same age, someone may be able to help, maybe me. The usual sources are local directories, electoral rolls, and council minutes which you should find in the local studies library for your area. Beware that roads sometimes got renumbered as houses were added.

#3 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

It would be worth going to HM Land Registry and, for a small fee, downloading the title register entry. Not always definitive, but will fill in some, if not all, of the details you want.

It is worth noting that you do not have to be the owner of the property to do this, as it is a matter of public record. It can be a useful way of doing a backround check on individuals, as charges or restrictions on sale may result from bankruptcy or debts.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#4 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

It would be worth going to HM Land Registry and, for a small fee, downloading the title register entry. Not always definitive, but will fill in some, if not all, of the details you want.

It is worth noting that you do not have to be the owner of the property to do this, as it is a matter of public record. It can be a useful way of doing a backround check on individuals, as charges or restrictions on sale may result from bankruptcy or debts.

I have actually tried that. On two properties in fact - current and previous one. No joy.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Even deeds don't necessarily yield anything as we do have the deeds to the place we used to live in - but no info on building date. However I was able to establish a pretty good estimate on that one because of the name of the road (named after a princess who married into the royal family in the 1880s) census dates and OS maps.
I have hit a brick wall with the current house.
Rachel
My link

#5 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

If you tell us at least the name of the road and if appropriate a range of numbers that look the same age, someone may be able to help, maybe me. The usual sources are local directories, electoral rolls, and council minutes which you should find in the local studies library for your area. Beware that roads sometimes got renumbered as houses were added.

Yes that last point had occurred to me.
I do know something of the history of the area - it was part of the Cator estate. I gather from neighbours that the land was sold of as a job lot and developed by one person. My house and it's adjoined one is allegedly unique in architecture (albeit in a modest way) from the rest of the street so it may have been slotted in at a later point than other ones.
My neighbours think that it was built in 1905ish but maps of the time belie this.
Rachel
My link

#6 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:11 PM

Just phone up the land registry & they will I'm sure tell you when the address was 1st registered with them.

I am surprised that your deeds does not highlight this date unless you live in a coverted property.
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#7 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

The Cator Estate is a vast area which was self-developed or sold off for housing over a long period. Most of it is within Beckenham, and if that's where you are, Bromley Local Studies is the place to look.

A few notes: Annual directories of Beckenham were produced around 1900 and would be the best place to start. Pre-WW1 and most pre-WW2 electoral rolls for Beckenham do not seem to have survived (at least they aren't on the shelves at Bromley). General maps are unreliable as they aren't updated very often. The registration date could be long after the house was built. The Cator family survives, but are somewhat reclusive and will refer you to local history author Pat Manning if you conact them. The British Library has some very early estate books, but probably too early for your needs.