• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:46 PM

Does anyone know of any famous people either from the West Norwood/Crystal Palace area or resident there now? Theatrical connections would be absolutely ideal too ...

#2 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:02 PM

I was thinking of starting this thread a few days back... how wierd! :rolleyes:

Anyway... yes. Mark Steel of Radio 4 fame. He also comes from Swanley in Kent which is where I grew up. Strange thing is we both now live in CP. I've seen him at the station and up the triangle quite a few times.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#3 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:10 PM

One of the guys who values antiques on the Antiques Roadshow is often at CP station. I think he's the jewellery man. Not much of a celeb, but hey.
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#4 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:21 PM

Thanks guys for those - any more?

The reason I ask is that my theatre is hopefully going to be undertaking a major refurbishment/renovation project, and we'd really like to get the support of some local "celebs" if at all possible.

Don't worry, if anyone actually knows any of them, by the way, I'm not going to be pestering them, just writing a polite letter!

#5 keziahthomas

keziahthomas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:08 PM

Well, apparently the 'Sawalha' family live in CP. The father of Julia (of ab fab fame) is a well known actor and the family home is around here-no idea where though.
Also well-known (well to a harpist anyway) classical cellist and his also prominent family Raphael Wallfisch live off Anerley Hill.
Bit further afield but, James Nesbit lives in East Dulwich.

I'm sure there must be loads more esp. actors....it's that kind of place isn't it?!!

#6 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:41 PM

Nadia Sawalha lives on Beulah Hill. I have also seen Freya Copeland, the lady who played Angie the policewoman in Emmerdale in the Gipsy Hill Tavern and also in Crystal Nails.

Also the lady who played Tash the doctor in Holby City/Casualty lives round here somewhere. See this: http://www.bbc.co.uk...city_tash.shtml

Rachel xx

celeb-gossip junkie........ :D

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:51 PM

Charlie Drake used to live in crystal Palace not sure if he is alive now but used to see him most early mornings getting a paper always used to say hi & he always replied alright mate in a high pitched voice . Mark King of King & later the MTV presenter I used to live next door to him. Harry Carpenter of Frank Bruno fame know wot I mean Harry also round here some where.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#8 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:39 AM

freya copeland (emmerdale) i beleive is my next door neigbour's daughter inlaw.....she doesnt live round here though.... the 'Sawalha' family were in upper norwood for a while whilst their dad was working near and went to all saints in the 80's, didnt the head Boswell son in bread live off the main westow hill road????? plus some guy from the britas empire (one of the gay guys called gavin i think???)... I know The Bill are filmed in south london so maybe ask them also lastly Maureen Beattie (shakespearian and television actress) lives in s.london somewhere....i cant hurt to ask anyway....... :rolleyes:
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#9 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:56 AM

Yes - my husband saw James Nesbit at Brockwell Park Lido this Summer. Also, the girlfriend of the compare for Gipsy Hill Tavern comedy nights is the lesbian prison officer in Bad Girls (the one with the ginger hair). Floella Benjamin lives in Palace Rd (that's more Tulse Hill) and she has been involved in local stuff before, like turning on West Norwood's Christmas lights so might be keen to be involved in theatre revamping.

#10 DeeTea

DeeTea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:15 AM

Apparently Rolf Harris lives in the Sydenham Hill area, although i don't know anyone who's actually seen him!! :huh:

#11 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:48 AM

rolf harris & Floella Benjamin in south london...wow respect... B)

#12 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:37 AM

...so when's David Hasselhorff gonna make his prescence known too??? ha ha :ph34r:

#13 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:42 AM

Only if he brings KITT, the car that dispenses money!

#14 pbradburn

pbradburn

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:53 AM

nadia or Julie Sawahla lives on gibsons hill off beulah hill i thought? I recall in a mag she said her favourite pub was the conquering hero and that was at the top of her road.

#15 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:02 AM

Wasn't Kitt up for sale on e-Bay a while back? - seem to remember reading something about it on the BBC news website.
Rachel
My link