• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bradycath

bradycath

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

Does anyone know when the public can gain access to the catacombs in West Norwood cemetary.I am doing a photographic projecton subterranean London and would like to take some photos down there.

#2 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

Does anyone know when the public can gain access to the catacombs in West Norwood cemetary.I am doing a photographic projecton subterranean London and would like to take some photos down there.

Hi bradycath, I would start with this (excellent) website: http://www.westnorwo...under_cemetery/

and the contacts given at:
http://www.fownc.org...act/index.shtml

It sounds as if there are occasional special tours of the catacombs.

Someone involved with the friends of WN cemetery sometimes posts on VN, so they might well be able to give better details.

Edited by andreas, 30 December 2010 - 12:29 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#3 colinf

colinf

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

Hi, the Friends of West Norwood Cemetery have recently negotiated a way with Lambeth to admit our members into the catacombs. Bear in mind that there are 1500 coffins, and there has been water damage etc over the years, especially after the chapels on top were bombed and demolished after WWII.

We are about to announce the next trip down there in the January newsletter, which will be published to our members' newsletter and on the Friends' website in a week or two. So can I suggest that you check www.fownc.org then.

For insurance purposes etc is a condition of admittance that you are a member of FOWNC - this just 3 for a year and helps support the preservation of the cemetery.
You can become a member using paypal on the website or by contacting the membership secretary - details on the website and in the newsletter. There are also subscription forms in the cemetery office.

The next monthly general tour of the cemetery will be on Sunday morning at 11am, leaving inside the main gate. If you catch the guide you can join up then. If you have 1.5 hours the tour covers many places (above ground) that are off the beaten track, and might help fill in a bit about the history of the place.

#4 bradycath

bradycath

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

Thank you both for this information, really helpful. Have duly paid 5 to FOWNC, not sure whether that was membership or not! Anyway, wait for announcement of tour with excitement!It looks fantastic from what I have seen of other photo sites.

#5 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

I am a life member but ashamed to say that I have never been on a tour. Will try to make it this weekend!
Rachel
My link

#6 wembley

wembley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

But beware of the ghoul --

http://www.watkinsbo...eports/view/128

"On a temperate autumn night, in October 1987 a man walking past the West Norwood Cemetery, down from Robson road, was given the shock of his life when a figure darted over the wall clearing the railing and landed with a dull thud a few feet away from him, one look at this creature's pointed ears, elongated, and viciously fibrous claws, an eerie absence of nose and glowing eyes, was all the man needed to send him running in the other direction in abject horror."

I assume this is a wind-up?