• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

I've always been frustrated by the lack of decent table tennis facilities in London - more precisely tables that aren't monopolised by professional clubs/cost a small fortune for an hour's play. I want to play just for fun! I used to play when I was a teenager and the bug's never quite left me though short of a couple of knockabouts in the Balham Leisure Centre creche (!), I've found no decent space or table in South London.

Is there any interest here in CP/Norwood? Ie - if I can get something going, are there are any budding ping pong enthusiasts out there? Or am I missing an existing table (that's not in a pub)? ;)

#2 jbphoto

jbphoto

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

I know its still rather chilly, but I saw recently that they have installed some outdoor pingpong tables in Dulwich park

Check out my Interior Photography Blog at http://jamesbalston.com

#3 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

I know its still rather chilly, but I saw recently that they have installed some outdoor pingpong tables in Dulwich park

No better way to warm up!

#4 StephenB

StephenB

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

I'd sign up.

(Only played a few times, lacking any natural talent, willing cannon-fodder.)

#5 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'd sign up.

(Only played a few times, lacking any natural talent, willing cannon-fodder.)

Great! Will let you know as and when I can put my cunning plan into operation. We all start off as cannon-fodder of course but in my experience, it's one of the best games to get "decent" at in a short period of time.

#6 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

I used to play at the National Sports Centre a few years ago but they would insist on putting the tables on the upper level so some over-exuberant smashes would result in having to go and ask for the ball back from the people playing basket ball. Not sure if they still have the tables after the refurb but worth asking.

#7 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

I used to play at the National Sports Centre a few years ago but they would insist on putting the tables on the upper level so some over-exuberant smashes would result in having to go and ask for the ball back from the people playing basket ball. Not sure if they still have the tables after the refurb but worth asking.

Yeah, did just that a few weeks ago. Girl on reception looked at me like I'd asked if the moon was made of cheese. It's no wonder that we don't stand a chance at national level when there are so few facilities to practice on at community level. I imagine 99% of British kids today have never even played table tennis. :(

#8 mushin

mushin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

I used to play a lot of Table Tennis got my first trophy in 1964 last in 1994, former Kent junior and senior champion, national Senior quarter finalist in 1976. They used to hold the National Championships at Crystal Palace.

#9 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

I play a couple of games a week at Westow House. Great fun and nicer than a sports centre. The Gypsy Hill Tavern also has a table. If any of you fancy a thrashing that can easily be arranged via PM :ph34r: :unsure: :ph34r:

#10 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

The tables were very busy when we popped down the other day and a terrific idea but you do need some serious wellington boots - the mud was horrendous.

I play a couple of games a week at Westow House. Great fun and nicer than a sports centre. The Gypsy Hill Tavern also has a table. If any of you fancy a thrashing that can easily be arranged via PM :ph34r: :unsure: :ph34r:

Citizen M plays as part of the CPPPPA so named in true Crystal Palace tradition and not to be confused with any other organisations. If you can guess the name of the group you will have passed the first stage of the initiation process - the thrashing comes later. :P

#11 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

Seems like there's a bit of a TT fraternity on here.

I was junior table tennis champion at Pontin's Bracklesham Bay 1984. My prize was a trophy, 4 cans of R Whites Lemonade and a game with Chester Barnes (remember him?). They didnt give me the 40 Embassy No1 though as I was only 11.

Thinking of that. How unbelievable it was that all Pontins residents were put into Embassy and Rothmans teams for the week.

#12 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

I was junior table tennis champion at Pontin's Bracklesham Bay 1984. My prize was a trophy, 4 cans of R Whites Lemonade and a game with Chester Barnes (remember him?). They didnt give me the 40 Embassy No1 though as I was only 11.

I won the Butlins 'Bonny Baby' competition in 1970. Hard to believe now!
Still have the picture and trophie somewhere.

#13 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

They're all coming out of the woodwork now! We really should set up a tournament complete with inappropriate prizes. :jedi:

#14 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

I don't have any trophys nor have I won any pagents (which is of course a traversty considering my ball and beauty prowess) however I do have me own bat and killer instinct :ph34r: viva la grande slam :jedi: :jedi: :jedi:

Edited by citizen M, 08 January 2011 - 01:23 PM.

#15 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

...Citizen M plays as part of the CPPPPA so named in true Crystal Palace tradition and not to be confused with any other organisations. If you can guess the name of the group you will have passed the first stage of the initiation process - the thrashing comes later. :P

Crystal Palace Ping Pong People's Army? :unsure: