33 replies to this topic

#16 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

Crystal Palace Ping Pong People's Army? :unsure:

You're nearly there SL, it's not army....

#17 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

Association? :unsure:

#18 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

Might be a good idea for the Cinema Campaign? A CP table tennis champion ship. All proceeds go to the campaign, the winner gets a t-shirt. Can be hold at the Westow House, everybody gets drunk, brilliant plan! :rolleyes:

#19 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

Might be a good idea for the Cinema Campaign? A CP table tennis champion ship. All proceeds go to the campaign, the winner gets a t-shirt. Can be hold at the Westow House, everybody gets drunk, brilliant plan! :rolleyes:

Association is correct SL and great plan MissP but not sure if the PPC will need a fighting fund anymore once the one and a bit screen cinema for CP is approved at the G&G site :blink: :blink: :blink: still any excuse for a game of ping pong and alcoholic refreshments is always welcome :D :D

#20 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

Hmmm - I'm thinking that the chair of the CPPPPPPPPPPPPPA might quite like Crystal Palace Ping Pong People's Army - it has rather a nice ring to it! Ding dong! ;) or should that be Ping pong!

Great! Will let you know as and when I can put my cunning plan into operation. We all start off as cannon-fodder of course but in my experience, it's one of the best games to get "decent" at in a short period of time.

My game has managed to deteriorate. :(

Seems like there's a bit of a TT fraternity on here.

I was junior table tennis champion at Pontin's Bracklesham Bay 1984. My prize was a trophy, 4 cans of R Whites Lemonade and a game with Chester Barnes (remember him?). They didnt give me the 40 Embassy No1 though as I was only 11.

Thinking of that. How unbelievable it was that all Pontins residents were put into Embassy and Rothmans teams for the week.

Incredible to think how much has changed - I'm much liking that SLR from a social/cultural history point of view - at 11 I thought I was smoking Consulats and Sobranie cocktail cigarettes :blink: - Not that I think smoking is a good thing - far from it.

Edited by charlie, 08 January 2011 - 10:56 PM.

#21 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:42 AM

I won the Butlins 'Bonny Baby' competition in 1970. Hard to believe now!
Still have the picture and trophie somewhere.

Having met you Hermit baby, I find that VERY hard to believe mister

#22 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

Having met you Hermit baby, I find that VERY hard to believe mister

Will have to try and dig out the picture to put on here, its at my parents.
A bit of a shocker....blonde curls and all sorts!! :unsure:

#23 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

Perhaps we could have a VN members guess the baby quiz...

#24 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

When I met you Hermy I knew at first glance that you were the most beautiful baby. :D

Perhaps we could have a VN members guess the baby quiz...

Great idea SL - I was thinking about that before Christmas - if we could get sufficient members involved we could all participate for a a fee of 1 and half the pot could go to the winner and the other half of the pot could go to a nominated charity.

#25 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

I'd get SL's straight away...hers would be the sepia one

#26 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

I'd get SL's straight away...hers would be the sepia one

Expect an B) eye watering clip around the ear from behind when you are next sauntering nonchalantly around the triangle.

#27 mushin

mushin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

Seems like there's a bit of a TT fraternity on here.

I was junior table tennis champion at Pontin's Bracklesham Bay 1984. My prize was a trophy, 4 cans of R Whites Lemonade and a game with Chester Barnes (remember him?). They didnt give me the 40 Embassy No1 though as I was only 11.

Thinking of that. How unbelievable it was that all Pontins residents were put into Embassy and Rothmans teams for the week.

Hi St Lukes I won the Pontins finals championship in 1970 at Pakefield, I got a cup, two free weeks holiday for two the next year and 100 sports voucher. The trophy was presented at the Abert Hall at a later date by Sir Fred Pontin and Chester Barnes I have the photo of me collecting it. I did a couple of exhibitions with Chester and nearly beat him once, I also remember being chased by a fat lady blucoat up and down the steps at the award night, I managed to escape.

#28 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hi St Lukes I won the Pontins finals championship in 1970 at Pakefield, I got a cup, two free weeks holiday for two the next year and 100 sports voucher. The trophy was presented at the Abert Hall at a later date by Sir Fred Pontin and Chester Barnes I have the photo of me collecting it. I did a couple of exhibitions with Chester and nearly beat him once, I also remember being chased by a fat lady blucoat up and down the steps at the award night, I managed to escape.

Great story. After winning I was asked to go to Camber Sands for the UK final. My lovely mother decided it was too far to go (East London to Sussex?)

Chester was a lovely fella, though he took the mick when he beat me with a bat the size of a McVities Rich Tea. Lucky old you with the fat blue coat. I always ended up being pursued by an 8 year old from Hackney....all snot and marmite too.

#29 mushin

mushin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Great story. After winning I was asked to go to Camber Sands for the UK final. My lovely mother decided it was too far to go (East London to Sussex?)

Chester was a lovely fella, though he took the mick when he beat me with a bat the size of a McVities Rich Tea. Lucky old you with the fat blue coat. I always ended up being pursued by an 8 year old from Hackney....all snot and marmite too.

I remember losing my first final at Camber Sands that was the self catering finals, I got a 25 sports voucher, I remember Chester and his frying pan he used to call them chip shots. He always like a bet and worked at Martin Pipe's stables, he also suffered heart trouble. Here's a vid for you, ping pong?

#30 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

I know its still rather chilly, but I saw recently that they have installed some outdoor pingpong tables in Dulwich park

Finally had a go on these today. Like playing in the Somme. During a hurricane. Must be nice in Summer though....