APP'tastic!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

Ok - this thread will certainly be of no interest to many but I have recently treated myself to a device that uses apps (Galaxy Tab).

I am v new to apps, and have found a few great ones but was wondering what other people's experiences were - and if there were any great apps around that I am missing. It also might be a useful way for people to talk about any new apps that they come across.

I am somewhat of a luddite, but I do realise that there will be apple and android apps .... I think though that many are replicated in some way for the differing systems?

Anyway - my current favourites:

Kindle
Rail Planner Live
Birds UK (have always been pants at identifying birds)
ElectricSleep Beta (actually seems to work! waking me up when I am in light sleep close to my alarm)
Sound A Sleep (particularly like the 'distant thunderstorm' and 'train' to nod off to)
Camera Fun Pro (have had a lot of harmless fun with this - my cats/partner look particularly bizarre through some of the warp functions)

I also downloaded a virtual spirit level for a few minutes when I was putting up a shelf - amazing!

So .... if you are into apps, what are your favourites? And are there any that are just not worth the effort/money?

SL

#2 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

I use National Rail Enquiries (is that the same app as Rail Planner Live?) and find it invaluable. However, don't trust its platform info - I once narrowly missed being carted off into the sidings when I sat smugly on an empty train at London Bridge thinking I was the only one who knew which the CP train was. I didn't - everyone else was on the crowded train opposite that I missed. :rolleyes:

I'd like an app that identifies birds by their song! Don't suppose Birds UK does that?

I have Star Walk but forget to use it! You hold it up to the sky and it identifies the constellations you can see, using the phone's built-in compass. It gets rave reviews.

When I'm trying to concentrate to do some 'creative' writing and there's a distracting babble around me, I listen to 'brown noise' on AmbiSci PM (a free app)! The rest of the noises, meant for meditation, are pretty appalling - either synthesised 'whale music' or static, but I quite like the 'brown noise', which sounds like wind (of the metereological sort). :D

#3 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

...I'd like an app that identifies birds by their song! Don't suppose Birds UK does that?

The bird app doesn't record and identify, but it has short snatches of the various common birds - as both 'song' and 'call'.

I also downloaded the tree app as I am rubbish at identifying them.

#4 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:50 AM

I like the sound of Sound A Sleep! I wonder whether I can get it for the iPhone.

I downloaded Sleep Cycle, which is meant to do what you say Electric Sleep does but have yet to try it.

Household apps we use include Ocado, Rightmove and Sky+.

And I would recommend telling your phone the wifi password for everywhere you spend a lot of time: home, work, etc.

I bought the upgraded version of the RHS's Grow Your Own app. You specify what you're growing and they give you a calendar of events but it's a bit too basic. I don't exactly live on a farm but even I know the month my veg are due to be ready and about watering them, etc. If you've already read up on your plants, there are probably only a couple of notes that might be useful. It's quite cute, though, and it didn't cost much. I've just looked at it for the first time in months and it's trying to remind me about what I should be doing now.

#5 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

The bird app doesn't record and identify, but it has short snatches of the various common birds - as both 'song' and 'call'.

I also downloaded the tree app as I am rubbish at identifying them.

Sounds good!

Edited by GillW, 10 January 2011 - 12:12 PM.

#6 hathaws

hathaws

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

Good discussion!

I've got an app called Chirp on my iPhone that has heaps of birdsong on there. You can scroll through lots of British and European birds and play their song. I'm often hearing birds in the trees and wondering what kind it is. Sadly you can't hold the phone up and have it recognise the chirping and identify the bird, that would be fab, but as there are a handful of common hedge/tree birds around I usually find the one I want. I love it. But I have been called a 'geek with flair' because of it...

My train app is the Train Times one, which has very reliable live departure boards, and the ability to see when the train left the previous station (or any en route). Very handy in bad weather conditions when the national rail site is being unreliable (recommended by a fellow VNer, thank you!).

Other than my social media apps, others I use frequently are IMDB (for when I fail to remember who was in what film), Scrabble and Love Film. Recently downloaded a Seasons one, which tells me which fruit and veg are in season, and also locates local farmers markets. Fab!

#7 Woollyhedge

Woollyhedge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

I can reccomend London Undergroud Free (Tube map and live travel news), Kindle for Android, Seesmic (if you use Twitter) and The Guardian Anywhere (you can set it up to download stories at night via WiFi and then you can access them when you have no signal i.e. on the tube etc.)

Enjoy!

#8 DomT

DomT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

Try the free woZZon app for what's on and events in the local area. Lots of information about what's on in Norwood and places to eat and drink. It's available on android, iphone and ovi phones and also a website at www.wozzon.com

Disclaimer: I work with the company that provides the events for the app but i live in Norwood and i think it's quite comprehensive for the area.

#9 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

I'm also a fan of IMBD, for the same reason - I thought I was the only one who did that :lol:

If you have a wireless printer, you can usually download an app by the Printer manufacuter so you can print directly from your phone to printer, which is useful - mine is Epson iPrint. I also love ColorSplash, which turns any picture you've taken into Black and White, and enables you to return colour only to parts of the picture. Ebay is also good, National Trust, Lovefilm and Toptable I use quite often too.

Edited by moc, 10 January 2011 - 03:11 PM.

Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#10 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

I'm also a fan of IMBD, for the same reason - I thought I was the only one who did that :lol: ......

Downloaded it yesterday when struggling to remember the name of an actor in a film I was watching - and hey presto the answer was in front of me, plus a little pic of his character in the film. Great app! :D

#11 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

I've had an iPhone since the 3G so now have heaps of apps. The ones I like best are:

News/Sport/Weather:

BBC News
Guardian
iFooty
WeatherPro

Digital media streaming:

Boxee (remote control for Boxee application)
Plex (remote control for Plex application)
Klexi (remote control for Plex application)

Writing/research/academic/books:

Papers (repository of academic papers)
Instapaper (read text you've captured from a webpage using Instapaper and sent to a device e.g. iPhone or Kindle)
Simplenote (simple note-taking that integrates with Scivener word processing application on my Mac)
Kindle (I also have a Kindle device so can sync across Kindle, Mac and iPhone)

Travel:

Train Times (this is the National Rail app)

Social networking:

Twitterific
Facebook
Last.fm

Music:

Spotify
Shazam (identify a song that is playing)
GuitarToolkit - tuner, metronome, chord finder

Reference:

Wikipanion

Shopping:

Ocado
eBay
Amazon

Utilities:

Flashlight (torch)
Conversions (unit converter)
XE Currency

Games:

Geared
Angry Birds (of course, who doesn't like this?)

Heath and Fitness:

RunKeeper (tracks your run and uploads to website)
iP (one for the women - track your monthly cycle ;))

Finance:

Paypal

Entertainment:

Flixster (movie info in collaboration with Rotten Tomatoes website)
YouTube

Will that do for now? :D
Mel, Forum Moderator

#12 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Wowzer! Thanks Gekko :)

#13 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

I've had an android phone for six months now and don't have any apps.
Its probably just that I don't understand it or know how to use it.

#14 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

You're only using half the phone Hermit... The apps ARE the phone. Try this:
http://androidhowto....to-install-apps
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#15 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:43 PM

Agreed. The apps change the way you view handheld devices. They aren't just telephones anymore but another means of running your day-to-day affairs just like you do on your laptop.

I do think it's important that you know when you switch off from being switched on but iOS and Android devices are massively enabling and it's worth investigating their potential.
Mel, Forum Moderator