Until recently, effective two-way video communication seemed like the stuff of science fiction. The massive amount of computing power required for live video communication was prohibitive. Today things have changed. Improved networking technology and increased computing power have made it possible to easily set up live video links between offices around the world. What once seemed like fiction has now become the everyday norm in offices around the world.
What is video communication? It is any interaction that is achieved by the means of a video link. In offices around the world people can meet with each other face-to-face through a video connection. Co-workers can speak to each other as if they were sitting across the same conference table. Video communication is available on nearly any device and at any location. Business are already deriving many benefits from video communication. Here are just a few:
- One of the key elements driving video communications is that it reduces the need for people to travel to meetings. Travel is expensive and results in lots of unproductive downtime. Video conferencing make much travel unnecessary. For many companies, the reduction in travel expenses in the first year pays for the equipment required to set up video communications.
- Video communication is more effective than other types of communication. It is a close substitute for in-person meetings. Since nearly 90% of all human communication involves unspoken body language, effective meetings necessarily involve a visual component. Video communication allows people to see each other. People can pick up on body language and have more effective communications. This does not happen on instant messaging or conference calls.
- The ease of video communication makes it possible to include more people in the meetings. If travel was involved in a meeting, only the most important people could go. Now meetings can be more inclusive and encompass a broader perspective. The audience of the meeting can be optimized to include anyone inside the organization who can contribute. Conferences with outside experts can also be easily arranged.
- Knowledge and information spread quickly throughout the organization because more people have access to each other through video communication. This means that everyone in the organization has the necessary information to perform effectively. Meetings can be shorter because more frequent meeting can be arranged through video communication.
- Businesses with a dispersed workforce and many telecommuters can really benefit from video communication. Employees that work outside the office can stay in touch through video links. The ability to telecommute is an important perk that helps retain top talent.
- Video communication is not just for internal meetings. Salespeople can use video communication to make presentations to potential customer without needing to travel. Customer service representatives can provide live video support. Video communication can improve the connection with customers and increase sales.
- Video interviews allow companies to cast a wide net to recruit new talent. A business can pursue the top talent in the field without regard for location. Recording the interview gives people who were not able to be present the ability to observe the candidate.
What is video communication? It is a way of being more productive, collaborative and efficient. By linking the workforce together through live video links, a business can gain a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Viju specialise in global video communications. At Viju, they create dynamic communications solutions for businesses around the world. They help bushiness communicate better and be more productive. This is the future of business communications.
Category: Sci Tech